Container Ship in the canal

My first, the Forrestal, was about that long. It's been about 47 years and I didn't get issued a tape measure.
I worked on the JFK the Coral Sea and the Okinawa and a lot of other ships. That was right after President Jimmy Carter sent in this small aircraft carrier to get the US citizens out of Iran when they revolted.
It came into Long Beach and had like four days to get the turbine that was blown out and replaced. We didn't have enough time so I had to go to sea trials with it for about a week.
One day about 20 years ago I was going over the bridge in Concord CA and saw the Okinawa sitting and mothballed. Very sad to see a ship like that put out to pasture.

BTW the rescue never happened as four of the helicopters went down with motor issues. The Okinawa was a helicopter carrier.

Terrorists did not do it. The Chinese Gov. did it. With all those ships backed up to the canal entrance. The goods they were carrying are now in short supply and the price went up and the Chinese are going to make a killing on sales. Just like our ammo and reloading supplies being in short supply.:ROFLMAO:
Just some off beat humor.
RELH

I worked on the JFK the Coral Sea and the Okinawa and a lot of other ships. That was right after President Jimmy Carter sent in this small aircraft carrier to get the US citizens out of Iran when they revolted.
It came into Long Beach and had like four days to get the turbine that was blown out and replaced. We didn't have enough time so I had to go to sea trials with it for about a week.
One day about 20 years ago I was going over the bridge in Concord CA and saw the Okinawa sitting and mothballed. Very sad to see a ship like that put out to pasture.

BTW the rescue never happened as four of the helicopters went down with motor issues. The Okinawa was a helicopter carrier.

They turned mine into a museum, hopefully I'll see her again someday. That rescue mission was an unmitigated disaster, much like the rest of his presidency. 5 minutes after Reagan took office it was over without launching a single bird or missile. Projecting strength avoids conflicts and bloodshed.

Keep er movin.

165108553_286553682884125_7827241442328426795_n.jpg

They turned mine into a museum, hopefully I'll see her again someday. That rescue mission was an unmitigated disaster, much like the rest of his presidency. 5 minutes after Reagan took office it was over without launching a single bird or missile. Projecting strength avoids conflicts and bloodshed.
DW what ship were you on I only know of the Yorktown as a museum in our area maybe the pink submarine. I had to do some work on the USS Los Angeles sub that was really something to see.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom