Considering using my general deer points next year.

3TOE

Very Active Member
I currently have 10 NR general deer points & I am considering using them next year. I’m aware that 10 points is no guarantee of a tag, but just curious to know what the Utah MM folks would suggest for any particular hunts / units. I can go with a bow, muzzleloader or rifle, it doesn’t really matter. Just looking for some suggestions of a hunt worth 10 points.

If you’re an archery guy, you cups have been hunting a few NR general units in Utah dang near every year. I don’t think there are any units in the general pool I’d consider paying the money you gave every year to build 10 points as NR.

If you’re an archery guy, you cups have been hunting a few NR general units in Utah dang near every year. I don’t think there are any units in the general pool I’d consider paying the money you gave every year to build 10 points as NR.
I haven’t applied every year due to scheduling conflicts with other hunts or just life stuff. I have probably only applied 5 times & all have been for ALW hunts.

He has invested $150 in preference points. Seems like a small investment for a hunt he couldn’t draw without them. I have 8 myself. Now that I am retired, I may look seriously at a dedicated hunter tag.

He has invested $150 in preference points. Seems like a small investment for a hunt he couldn’t draw without them. I have 8 myself. Now that I am retired, I may look seriously at a dedicated hunter tag.
Just a FYI General points are not used to draw DH. You can apply for and accrue DH points and may need multiple DH points to draw a desired unit.

I currently have 10 NR general deer points & I am considering using them next year. I’m aware that 10 points is no guarantee of a tag, but just curious to know what the Utah MM folks would suggest for any particular hunts / units. I can go with a bow, muzzleloader or rifle, it doesn’t really matter. Just looking for some suggestions of a hunt worth 10 points.
After looking at draw odds, you are guaranteed any general tag/season in the state with 10 NR points.

After looking at draw odds, you are guaranteed any general tag/season in the state with 10 NR points.
This is true and some of the better units are some of the easier to draw units right now. I have two points and might be looking for someone to share points with me in a year or two. I decided to sit out this year and scout a new unit that might be a hidden gem. 3TOE, if you're interested, send me a pm.

This is true and some of the better units are some of the easier to draw units right now. I have two points and might be looking for someone to share points with me in a year or two. I decided to sit out this year and scout a new unit that might be a hidden gem. 3TOE, if you're interested, send me a pm.
With 10 points this might be the best way to do it. Share those points with someone willing to scout or a friend(otherwise 10 points is overkill and way more than required on General draw)
Nearly all General units hold good deer working to find them is the catch.

Do you have a favorite LE Bull unit you are hoping to draw?

If you have that narrowed down, maybe do the Overlap Gen Deer unit and get to know the LE Bull elk unit too.

Just a thought for ya 3toe

Robb
That’s really good advice. I haven’t considered that angle. 👍🏻

Definitely something to consider, thank you.
Tikka texted me last night suggesting the same.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom