conflicting info for deer?

B

buzzard

took your advise and did the research on the f&g website for my wyoming mule deer hunt this fall. region k was my first look with what seems like good harvest success rates, pp odds in my favor and good access to public land. but after reading so many comments on the forum about how bad it is in the southwest i started looking elsewhere. checked into regions g & h which also had what i am looking for as far as f&g statistics goes but again the nega tive comments from those that live in or hunt those areas indicate its worse than ever. i am confused. am i missing something? any advise on why info is so conflicting? what do i base my research on now?

One thing you need to remember is that the stats are not showing for 2011, which was the first season after the disastrous winter that entire part of Wyoming experienced starting early in the 2010-2011 winter and continuing all the way through Spring. Most who live there said they couldn't even get into the high country to scout until mid to late summer because the snow depths were so bad. That is one thing where it really helps to get on various websites like this and try to talk with guys that live right in the area you want to hunt. Everywhere I go on the net is the same thing and that is that the herds are in terrible shape in that whole area. If you want a decent hunt this year, I would look at Region Y in the northcentral part of the state because it has not had bad weather like down sw for quite some time and the herds are in pretty good shape. The whole west side of Region Y is either National Forest in the north and a lot of BLM down in the southwestern 3 units and the latter is were I would concentrate on.

Do what ya want to,buzzard.Just don't expect great hunting in K,G,or H.Went up for a look on the winter range Sunday.Deer numbers are down at least 50-60%,and mature bucks are almost non-existent(as are yearlings).On the bright side,fawn numbers looked decent,and the deer looked to be in good shape.B/D ratios were okay.If we don't get any harsh winter weather from here on out,we should have good survival rates this year.Gonna take a few years to recover from this..if ever.

TOPGUN & nontypical - that f&g statistics are a year behind explains everything. thanks for the info and recommendation.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom