Condors in Daniels Canyon!

• Thread starter IlikeEmBigAndTall
  • Start date
I

IlikeEmBigAndTall

Seen a pair soaring up high right where the mountains start at the mouth of Daniels canyon near Heber City,
Anybodyelse seen them?
Yes they were Condors,had the white patch of feathers on them & way bigger wing span than eagles.
Get your "no-lead" bullets & quick!

sure they weren't turkey vultures? I see them all the time in northen Utah (dont know if thats their real name)

Just FYI, if they are Condors, you have to use a non lead bullet on them, for some reason. ;-)

Reddog said, "Just FYI, if they are Condors, you have to use a non lead bullet on them, for some reason."

LMAO!! Too Funny!!

Joey

There's no doubt they were what they were,
Hey REDDOG,you'd of had a hard time explaining to the dwr officer these were just utah buzzards after knocking them out of the air,
FYI,these woulda made the average Utah Buzzard look like a piss ant,
and lol on: "Just FYI, if they are Condors, you have to use a non lead bullet on them, for some reason."

Not sure where Daniels Canyon is but who thought we'd ever see condors expanding their territory in our lifetime?

So does anyone see problems with the condors? I'm sure some bright boy will shoot one for no reason other than ignorance.

Send pics if you can.

I agree Zigga....especially in a boy from Utah!! I've seen condors in the wild in Ca and they are a sight to see. We weren't too sure if they were condors when we were watching them. They were relatively close until they went over the drest of the next ridge over and could not believe they were that far away. They looked HUGE!! We never did get a shot off....

Steve

>sure they weren't turkey vultures? I
>see them all the time
>in northen Utah (dont know
>if thats their real name)
>
>
>Just FYI, if they are Condors,
>you have to use a
>non lead bullet on them,
>for some reason. ;-)

Good call reddog. Don't want to get a ticket. lmao

Did it look anything like this?
10_01_pictures080.jpg

10_01_pictures079.jpg

Photos don't show it but this thing was at least 3' tall standing and when it ran up the side of the tree flapping it's wings had at least an 8' wing span. Saw it in the Kaibab eating a gut pile.

"Not sure where Daniels Canyon is but who thought we'd ever see condors expanding their territory in our lifetime?"

Who'd have ever though we'd see wolves expanding their territory in our lifetime....

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

>Yeah - how can condors be
>expanding their territory, I thought
>they all died of lead
>poisoning?

Maybe Google your question and you will find the answer. I'm guessing Condors are wiping out deer and elk herds down there right???

Great advice...you are a genius.

I googled my question word for word and google suggested I search for 'how can condoms be expanding their territory'. Evidently condoms are more relevant than condors.

I knew it was just a matter of time. They reintroduced them in Utah in 1996. I did some huge news stories on it since I was a newslady (tv and radio) in Cedar City at the time.

They sound like kinda dumb animals to me though...animals that may doom themselves.

E-bulletin from SONA and NWRA (September 2005)
Provided by Pomera Fronce

CALIFORNIA CONDOR PROBLEMS

It was only about twenty years ago that the chances for California Condor survival seemed almost hopeless. Since then, daring approaches, solid science, hard work, and a spirit of optimism have buoyed chances for the condor's positive future.

With healthy appearing experimental populations flying free, it seems as though we may have turned the corner, or at least approached the corner, for this species.

Lead bullets in the environment (i.e., in carrion) have been seen as the only significant impediment to condor population growth, while other things have certainly been looking up.

Last month, however, researchers at the Hopper Mountain National Wildlife Refuge in California had to remove a condor chick from the nest of male #21 and female #192. The chick appeared to be underdeveloped and was losing
feathers; however, once in hand, the bird to have something impacted in its crop and gut.

After transporting the chick to the Los Angeles Zoo, and following a three-hour operation, an astounding amount of material was removed from the ventriculus and proventriculus of the condor chick. The following items were among the debris removed from the chick: 4 bottle caps and a screw top, 3 electrical fittings, 5 washers, 13 22-caliber shell-casings, 1 38-caliber shell-casing, a shotgun-shell, several pieces of plastic bags, about a quarter cup of broken glass and a similar amount of broken plastic, a few small pieces of fabric, 4 small stones, a metal bracket, a piece of wire, and a few small pieces of rubber.

Fortunately, it did not appear that any of this remarkable collection of detritus perforated the gut, and currently the chick appears to be doing well.

Does this mean that all adult condors are attracted to ubiquitous shiny objects and will bring them back to their nest for their chicks? Or does this simply mean that male #21 and/or female #192 have this tendency? If the first option is the case, then the species is clearly in deep trouble, since these sorts of objects are virtually everywhere in a condor's
environment. If the second is the case - with this unfortunate chick simply having "idiot parents" - then we should remain hopeful.

This E-bulletin is distributed as a joint effort between Swarovski Optik of North America (SONA) and the National Wildlife Refuge Association (NWRA).

Seems pointless to spend so much money on a species destined for extinction........But then again it's a great ploy for anti's to take for stuff away from sportsmen..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

not being smart guys,
but I do know what a condor looks like,
by far bigger wing span than an eagle,
a couple of them ventured to Flaming Gorge a few years ago,never heard anymore about them?

Probably the lead bullet bans combined with global warming is allowing condors to expand their range. How wonderful.

Dax

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom