Comparable units?

I

IHuntNUtah

I want to know how the South Cache unit compares to the Book cliffs units? I have always put in for the cache units because i live close and would be able to scout. I deer hunt the cache and elk herds seem to be good but quality seems to be down. Would like to hear from people that have hunted both areas. Thanks.

I don't know much about the Cache units, so I can't compare. But, I did spend a lot of time archery elk hunting the book cliffs bitter creek unit this year. There are a few giant bulls on the books with the majority of the bulls in the 250-300 class range. It is a hard hunt, but if you put in your time you may be able to take home a 330 class bull. A few people that really know the unit and have luck on their side will take home 350+ bulls.

I personaly saw one 380+ bull (later taken on the rifle hunt), one 340ish class bull and the bull I took scores just over 330. Beautiful bull, great hunt. But not a lot of huge bulls out there this last year. That could change in the future, especially if the tags were reduced or the spike elk hunt was eliminated.

that depends on which tag you have. If you want a rifle tag its a shoot on both units if you ask me. you sould expect a 300-330 on both units. now if its archery the cache I believe is a harder unit to kill a bull on. At least on the bookcliffs you can sit water and you wont have the hard hikes. you could expect a 250-300 class bull on the bookcliffs archery but the cache might be a touch better but you will defiantly earn it on that unit and more then likely eat tag soup imho

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

The harder you work the luckier you get!!

Would be a rifle hunt or possibly muzzie hunt. How bout the roadless unit? Would i be better off on a late hunt on the pahvant /san juan?

I would do Cache over the Bitter Creek unit of the BC's myself.

I have spent a lot more time on the Cache units than on the Bitter Creek or Little Creek of the BC's......to many quad queers on the Bookies for me.

Robb

LAST EDITED ON Dec-30-10 AT 09:12AM (MST)[p]With a Rifle and if you have access to horses, mules, or an outfitter, I would do the Roadless unit. It is one of the better places for a horse-pack in hunt. If not, my second choice would be the bitter creek unit.

On the bitter creek unit, it is not too hard to get away from all the four wheelers and there isn't a deer hunt going during the LE rifle elk hunt to bring in a lot of people. To me, it is better than the Cache because of the reduced amount of deer tags/hunters. Even during the archery hunt, there are something like 300 tags total for deer on the books.

In all honesty, after labor day there are hardly any deer hunters left on the bitter creek side. I camped for two weeks right off the main road (Seep Ridge) on the book cliffs and hardly saw a person after labor day until I took my bull on September 14th this year.

With a rifle, your expectations can be a little higher. Probably 320-350 range, depending on the year.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom