Colorado Wolves

C

COboy12

It was a snowy cold Colorado after noon skiing on copper mountain, the slopes were empty and it was one of the few to brave the weather, it was one of my last runs of the day and I look down the ski run and see what looks to be a large dog running up the lift. I thought it was a search and rescue dog in training but there was no one around which I thought was weird, there was only one other skier and I around as I got closer I realized it was a very large gray and white wolf that came up to almost my waist, I skied within about 50 feet of the wolf and he acted really scared and nervous the closer I got to him, as I watched him for a few minutes he sat their and howled a few times them went running up the slope out of sight. I haven been thinking about this for a while and wanted to know if anyone else has seen wolves in Colorado? I have been watching a few you tube wolf hunts as I have been getting the itch to make an Idaho wolf hunting trip and have learned wolf hunting is a very controversial subject to many. But they look like a blast to hunt talk about a rush! But unfourtunatly the population will likly grow what do you think a population of wolves would do to the hunting situation in Colorado it kind of scary to think about, its hard to believe people would support the wolf population but what do I know I'm just a dumb redneck.

This happed I want to say in 2008 or 2009 so fairly recent I figured the wolf was running up the slope to get out of the deep snow and the groomed ski slope was the easiest place to walk and I just remember how big he was it was a pretty awesome sight. Just wanted to know if anyone else has seen them around?

It's pretty obvious what the effect wolves have on game animals. Look at the population and calf survival rates in the areas they are taking over. They aren't as easy to hunt as you might think I spent a week among them in the Greybull River basin heard them often but only saw one and he was on the go. A guide that was with us did manage to kill one the last day.

I believe officially wolves don't exist in Colorado so shoot every big coyote you see. I believe a few males are probably in the state not sure if they have an established pack. Most on here prefer less or no wolves I go with the NO!

7 years ago I had a Mountain Goat tag in the Gore Range, Vail Pass. I was up above Deluge Lake in late September on my way to Snow Lake. I thought I saw what looked like a wolf that day about 200 yards away. It saw me and took off. I have hunted Northern Canada and Alaska extensively and have seen a few wolves but never got a crack at one. I'm pretty sure I saw a wolf that day but have hiked the Gore ever since and not seen another one. I think there are a few here unfortunately.

Out the back door of our cabin, Lake George about 4 years ago.
8442co_wolf.jpg

Sorry to say that's the neighbors dog... the hind leg and chest look wrong for a wolf.

I've been hiking around Lake George for YEARS and haven't seen any deer or elk carcasses indicating wolves are in the area.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-22-13 AT 09:20AM (MST)[p]>It's pretty obvious what the effect
>wolves have on game animals.
> Look at the population
>and calf survival rates in
>the areas they are taking
>over. They aren't as
>easy to hunt as you
>might think I spent a
>week among them in the
>Greybull River basin heard them
>often but only saw one
>and he was on the
>go. A guide that
>was with us did manage
>to kill one the last
>day.
>
>I believe officially wolves don't exist

>in Colorado so shoot every
>big coyote you see.
>I believe a few males
>are probably in the state

>not sure if they have
>an established pack. Most
>on here prefer less or
>no wolves I go with
>the NO!
Last time I spoke with DoW folks about wolf sightings, they told me it must have been a hybrid. They remained silent when I asked if there was a limit on hybrids

You can bet there would be a fine for shooting a hybrid.

I couldn't find anything in regs against shooting hybrids. The picture I believe is a dog, as stated legs and chest aren't right for a wolf. Hybrids that go wild or semi wild can do an awful lot of damage to deer and elk as well, kind of like feral cats and birds. They usually become killing machines if left on their own.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom