Colorado Muzzy

jorka

Drew a Colorado muzzy tag for deer with a buddy. I’m shooting a TC Encore. Looking for ideas on what everyone is shooting a far as what powder and bullets.

I drew a deer tag there myself. So I’m Looking for recommendations also. I’ve heard good things about the Hornady Bore Drivers. So I ordered me some and I’m going to try those and see how they shoot.

Thor 250s and BH209 are my choice for deer in CO. I think the Bore Driver ELD-X would work as well for deer. Some of the Encores and Omegas have off-center QLAs so they do not shoot conicals well. If you have problems, try an MMP sub/base under the bullet. The other option is to have a gunsmith cut off the QLA and recrown.

I've got a CO MZ tag also. I've been shooting Federal BOR Lock 270's over the past couple of months. They shoot great with 777/2fg (85 gr by wt.) and BH-209 (80 gr by wt.). The bullet seats very easy in my CVA Optima - almost too easy. Western Precision irons.

I've got a CO MZ tag also. I've been shooting Federal BOR Lock 270's over the past couple of months. They shoot great with 777/2fg (85 gr by wt.) and BH-209 (80 gr by wt.). The bullet seats very easy in my CVA Optima - almost too easy. Western Precision irons.
You said it, "almost too easy" I tried the bor lock, they loaded great and shoot decent, but you gotta keep an eye on them they will work out your barrel causing loose loads and mis fires, it happened to 3 of us one year, and that was between a CVA, an ENCORE, and an OMEGA

You said it, "almost too easy" I tried the bor lock, they loaded great and shoot decent, but you gotta keep an eye on them they will work out your barrel causing loose loads and mis fires, it happened to 3 of us one year, and that was between a CVA, an ENCORE, and an OMEGA

You aren't the first person to mention this. "Keeping and eye on them" while out hunting in the field seems problematic. You just check with your ramrod every hour? What happens when they misfire? The bullet doesn't come out the end of the barrel, or does is hang fire? Makes me nervous.

I just got my hands on some Horny Bore Drivers and will test them out tomorrow and see if they inspire confidence that they'll stay seated where they should.

You aren't the first person to mention this. "Keeping and eye on them" while out hunting in the field seems problematic. You just check with your ramrod every hour? What happens when they misfire? The bullet doesn't come out the end of the barrel, or does is hang fire? Makes me nervous.

I just got my hands on some Horny Bore Drivers and will test them out tomorrow and see if they inspire confidence that they'll stay seated where they should.
Yes, unfortunately, when we found out what was happening we just kept checking with the ramrod that they stayed seated or we re-seated them.
If the bullet worked out to far the spark never got to the powder causing a miss fire or a hang fire.
Luckily I had some Thompson Center maxi-hunters with me and change out for that, sometimes newer is not always better

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom