Colorado Moose - Unit 18s?

C

Colorado_Ryan

My father drew a bull moose tag for Colorado unit 18s - Troublesome and East Fork of Troublesome creek area. We are having a tough time finding moose in the unit.

Anyone with moose reports for the unit, please get in contact with me!

Thanks for the help!!!!

I don't know the unit, but with my Wyoming moose hunt, I talked to the biologist for the area and he gave me all sorts of starting places as well as good advice on how to hunt them. Phone calls can save a lot of drive time. Sometimes these wildlife people are busy so it might take some time for them to get back to you, but don't give up on a good resource.
Good luck

Thanks, plenty of calls and we have had some good conversations. Part of the issue is this is a new subunit and no one has killed a moose in this part of the unit yet. So there is relatively little information available.

We need some help fellas.... we still have not even seen a bull in the subunit.

Any suggestions on places to look would be appreciated. Where have guys seen moose in the past??!!

Ryan,

It seems the moose are up high this time of year. We have a cabin near Rand (8800 feet) and haven't seen many moose lately. Once it cools down, we definitely start seeing them more often. I went over Cameron Pass two weekends ago and saw three huge bulls at the top of the pass. If most moose are in the same area, I would say hunt the 10,000 foot range.

I hope this helps.

Chad

LAST EDITED ON Oct-14-09 AT 08:28AM (MST)[p]Where did you see the bull???

We spent a week in the East Fork of the Troublesome and searched the core of the unit with no success. We never saw a moose in the East Fork or its tributaries and we covered a lot of ground. We finally connected with a nice 40" bull on the Main Fork of the Troublesome. All and all a very tough unit. I think the majority of the moose move out of unit 18S and the East Fork and rut in the main part of unit 18.

Hey at least you got one the first on that tag ever I think. It's a large hunk of steep country and the moose use even the highest and steepest not just the willow flats like the postcards show standing in a pond eating lillies, The huge bull I saw was way up high on a no-name ridge where you'ld look for elk not moose. From 3 miles away I could see his paddles without my binos, maybe next yr now that you won't be able to steal my tag... Got pics???

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom