Colorado BigHorn

kilowatt

Received these pictures of Rocky Bighorn Sheep in Colorado where ever the Old Clevenger Ranch is located. Taken by a fellow working at the Rock Quarry there just recently and sent to others.
Brian
48c0b0b56587a9b2.jpg

48c0b1550df8c92a.jpg

48c0b1800fb8922f.jpg

Thanks for the pics kilowatt. They're beautiful. I for one prefer them to live closer to home than the moon, even if we can't shoot them. Let's try to keep this site professional, not every trophy needs to be lying dead on the ground.

Doug

That second picture makes it look awesome. Think it will go 175 plus?

175 plus 15 plus change

So much for the "Watchable Wildlife" program from the Colorado Division of Wildlife. They wouldn't want these pictures out there just to try to keep them low profile. Seeing rams like these on the hoof needs to be experience. They will take your breath away.

>175 plus 15 plus change
>

Yeppers. Great pictures whether they are on the moon or not. In fact if they are on the moon I want to rethink that childhood answer of "I wanna be a fireman when I grow up" and change it to "astronaut". :)

Goin' out to set up mt spotter to point at the moon right now. :)

Huge ram! Looks like one from that high fenced big horn ranch down by Castle Rock.

I have hesitated to reply on this post, but I can personnally assure everyone that these are not high fenced raised bighorns.. They are free roaming Colorado Bighorn Sheep!

They are actually the off spring of the Colorado Ghost Ram that I posted pictures of back in 2005, five days before he died, and wanted to ensure that he was picked up by the DOW..

Fortunately there were several people keeping their eye on him and knew that he had moved off the private ranch and entered Fort Carson prior to his death.

I took these 2 pictures 5 days before he died.
BighornSheep12.jpg

IMGP0455_edited.jpg

I did not take this picture. It was taken in the same area of the pictures in the first post and you can clearly see the same terrain features. This is where he lived before his son's beat him up and kicked him out of his territory. The genetics are clear!
BighornSheep5.jpg

Unfortunately and I guess fortunately their are several people who know where these sheep live and watch them closely, while keeping the location a secret (except for the occasional rock quary truck driver, which would not be taken lightly if the landowner knew he was posting pictures and location on the internet). And yes I would agree that it is to bad that the public can not view and enjoy these wonderful animals, but as we all know it only takes one, and that one would come, and these wonderful sheep and their genetics would be gone.

Stryker

Stryker-

Wow what a twister!!! Do you know what this ram scored? I think it is amazing that there are animals of this caliber, free roaming the land. I greatly appreciate every time people post pictures of such beautifull animals. I am from Wisconsin and cannot imagine the possibility of living within the home range of such creatures.

Brookhunter

Absolutely incredible rams!!! I am especially impressed with how low the curl comes down on the upper ram in the first pic. Amazing!!!

Stryker,
Do you know how big the herd is that these rams are running in?
Genetic diversity is extremely important with sheep and I would hate to see these genes wiped out because of in-breading. It would be nice if the CO DOW could share the gene pool with some other herds!

Colorado Bighorn ~

Unfortunately it is a small isolated herd. And I believe your concerns of in-beeding may already be having a negative effect on this group, as it has declined by 25% between the 2007 and 2008 count.

Stryker

Without a transplant a declining herd usually means a herd headed toward extinction and that is a tragedy for genes like those. I would be glad to load them up in a trailer and haul them up to our local herd, but that sounds like it is out of the question. Anyway, they are dandy rams!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom