colorado antelope

C

cyclone

i am new to this site and new to antelope hunting. i have one preference point and was looking for any suggestions on a unit. any help would be apreciated. thanks

Take up archery hunting, many units are over the counter. Most rifles tags take 6 points and more so you have a good wait unless you can get a landowner tag.

AntlerQuest Hunt Consulting and Scouting

i was thinking of maybe taking an archery hunt but was also looking at unit 140, it looks like you only need two preference points there. does anybody know if this is a good unit?

Deerking said it right, archery hunt until you build some points then you'll draw a quality unit down the road for rifle. Gary

I noticed there is a few buck tags for unit 144 leftover but it is privste land only. It is suprising to see leftover buck antelope for this state. As the other 2 said you can do archery or wait a build a few more points. Honestly I dont think Colorado has the trophy caliber antelope (80"+) that equates to the number of points it would take to kill a big buck (hope that made sense). That being said a friend of mine killed a 79" buck on a OTC archery tag a few years ago. I have 6 points and am assuming I will draw the unit I want next year for a rifle tag. This unit has potential of 85" bucks but I would have to be extremely lucky to find one.
If your really itchin to hunt antelope soon I would check out Wyoming.
Jeff

A quick glance throught he B&C record books and you'll soon find out there are very few Colo pronghorn that have ever made book....especially the all time book. There are several units scattered across the state that from time to time produce whoppers but I've never gotten that excited about hunting Colo speed goats. From the draw stats it looks like the CDOW has been more conservative in a few NW corner units so hopefully we'll start seeing a few booners.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom