Colo Moose

jims

Long Time Member
I just received a letter in the mail from the CDOW requesting input on future moose management in Colo. They are requesting comments in regard to moose hunting preference moose in future years....should they manage for quantity or quality.

As it currently stands the CDOW is fairly conservative in tag allocations and bull moose trophy quality is fairly good. It sounds like they have been getting pressured to up the number of tags to allow more hunt opportunity. I was wondering what your thoughts are on this subject?

My preference would be to keep bull quality to a maximum. Bull moose in Colo is a once in a lifetime proposition and I imagine every one that is lucky enough to pull a tag would like a quality experience with the opportunity of harvesting a great bull. Hunters interested in having the opportunity to hunt moose and bring home meat can draw cow tags. Cow tags are relatively easy to draw.

I would rather wait a few extra years for a once in a lifetime tag and have the opportunity to hunt trophy bulls rather than wait 10 to 50 years for a tag where there are only dinks available.

I look forward to your ideas!

I'm all for the quality side of it. With habitat loss being what it is today, I'd rather see the focus on older class bulls rather than trying to get lots of moose into areas where their habitat might be marginal, etc. And I agree with you, I'd rather pull that tag once in my life and be hunting big, old bulls rather than young, immature bulls possibly more than once in my lifetime.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom