College Dads?

Wiszard

Long Time Member
My daughter, Stevie, got word that she was accepted to UCLA and will be attending in the fall. She'll be pre-med. She got accepted to all of the schools she applied to....UCSD, San Diego State, UCSB, UC Irvine, Cal Poly, etc. UCLA was her #1 school and we are very happy she got in. I'm a bit nervous that she'll be over 3 hours away. How many Dads here recently have had to send their girls away to college?

Steve

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

Not that recent. I sent 3 daughters to college. All three graduated with a masters degree and a different last name.....

Hey Wisz!

You ought to see what goes down in todays World of Colleges!:D

You might have to Whoop some Future Wanna-Be Son-In-Laws before it's over with!:D

We laugh, we cry, we love
Go hard when the going's tough
Push back, come push and shove
Knock us down, we'll get back up again and again
We are Members of the Huntin Crowd!

hmmmmm....I went to college and certainly remember the college girls...

....need to know anything????

I know of a couple girls who went to UCLA who didn't need rehab after they graduated.

So, it's possible.

Eel

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

LAST EDITED ON Mar-23-15 AT 11:50PM (MST)[p]Congratulations. Those are a pretty prestigious list if institutions. They all have a reputation for selecting the best of the best.

All those years of example and council you gave her will come in to play, my guess is she'll be outstanding. If she's got serious plans on a medical career, she'll be focused on academics for then next half dozen years. By then, the brain will have taken over for the hormones and you'll be home free.

Stay close, once they hit eighteen your roll changes from Drill Sergeant Byhellyouwill to Dr. Sure Wishyouwould..........

All the best my friend, my guess is she'll make you proud!

DC

Left my only daughter at a college only 2 hours away. One of the hardest things I've done was unloading her stuff and after a while having to drive away without her. Might tear your heart out like it did mine. All's well now though. She's married and has three kids for us to spoil. Still don't like them being far away. Now it's 4 1/2 hours.

WHAT A QUESTION.......I HAVE BEEN THERE !!! MY DAUGHTER HAD NEVER LEFT OUR COUNTY (HOME GIRL), APPLIED FOR SEVERAL GOOD COLLEGES......1ST CHOICE WAS NORTHWESTERN, THEN HARVARD (YES LAW STUDENT), THEN YALE, CAL, USC, AND SO ON. HATES COLD WEATHER, THEN GOT ACCEPTED AT NORTHWESTERN..CHICAGO AREA!!!!...I KNEW SHE WOULD BE BACK HOME IN A MONTH OR TWO. CAME HOME 9 YEARS LATER AS A LAWYER PLUS 2 OTHER DEGREES.

I WAS A BIT MORE THAN BLOWN AWAY, SHE MOVED BACK HOME & MAKES BIG BUCKS IN LAW LOCALLY. SON IN LAW IS A LAW DUDE TOO !! IN BONUS ALONE THEY DO CLOSE TO 100K.......VERY HAPPY FOR THEM.,,,,,,,,,,,,YD.

I've sent three daughters off to college, nine hours away. My two oldest have graduated and moved on with their lives, both married and making big $$. My youngest is a senior working on her IT degree.

The first week or so is the worst, obsessing on every phone ring, email, or FB post, and wondering why they're not keeping you up on every minute of their lives. But then it gets a little easier as you come to grips with them being adults now and needing some space to live their own lives and make their own decisions. It will be very tough on you, but it will also be very gratifying.

Good luck!

Sent my daughter off last year. Only about an hour from home. She was awarded some scholarship money and I help out too. But she also works in addition to school. Damn proud of her. mtmuley

Good to hear the good stuff rather than the bad stuff. :) She's told us several times that she's ready to get out and experience freedom. She'll be responsible, no doubt. I do not look forward to the dropping her off and then pulling away without her. It makes me very sad.

Steve

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

Hey Wisz?

You Clue Her in on Future Son-In-Laws?:D

Funny how that works Steve, it's all perspective isn't it. She'll be so excited she could do hand springs across the campus front lawn while you and Mom are wiping away tears of sadness. She feels victorious and energized while your feeling a lose and sorrow. Pretty normal reaction, based on my experiences.

It will help if you get can your mind set on making this "day of first flight" a celebration for her and the great work you and your family (and Grandma and Grandpa) have done to prepare her to fly, so you guys can be as excited to see her lift off, as she is to spread her wings.

Joy and happiness is 100% determined by attitude, rarely by circumstance.

DC

First off congrats! That is Awesome!

Took my oldest daughter to college about three and a half years ago to a school about four hours from home. Rough deal for sure. Still miss her daily but not all day anymore. Ha.

She is doing great. She has had a job for three years and promoted in it. She works close to full time and has established residency in OR to qualify for in state tuition and will transfer to U of O next fall. She recently got a paid internship for Lane County in the field she is studying that is usually only given to kids that have at least one year of grad school, she only has general ed. she's on her way to a successful career and makes us so proud.

We still get the occasional "emergency" phone call that she has a flat tire in the Cabelas parking lot or a dead battery. But those just make me feel like her dad again and they are few and farther between than year one.

We have been pretty lucky with all four of our kids, they are all very responsible. My oldest son will graduate high school in June and has been accepted to OR State. He has already secured the top scholarship given to Non resident students from the college. He will graduate 2nd in his class and is going to college to be an Engineer. So in about 6 months me and his mom will go through that rough time again and so it will probably go two more times with my other kids.

Trust you did a great job raising her and grit your teeth through the pain of it and I am certain you will both do great.

Bill

People who work for a living are quickly being
overwhelmed by people who vote for a living.

DC- Definitely ones own perspective. You can see that by the various lame responses. :) Just proves it's probably just better to keep certain things to ones self rather than trust in getting good, constructive answers here on MM. I appreciate the kind words. It's obvious you did a great job raising yours as well.

BESS- She's a smart kid...no son in laws until she's out of med school and has a grasp on her future. I've told her to stay as far away from Utah as possible. LOL

huntindad- sounds like all is well...keep it up!

Steve

Hey Wisz?

Can you Post me a Pic of little Young Ms Wisz?:D

Nope.....sorry Chester. :)

Steve, you better load Stevie, Canyon and Momma up in the jitney this summer and make a run for the Fish Lake Hostel, for a limit or two of rainbows. (Now that your lust for "fat cow" has been marginalized.) Make sure she gets her lungs full of 9,000 feet, before settling into the ole L.A. routine. Once that old med-school dance gets started, family trips will get right tricky to schedule!

You know where the key lives and there will be hot running water for the shower, after the first of June. ;-) Give it some thought!

DC

It's funny you should mention a trip because it wasn't 10 minutes ago that I asked Stevie where she wants to go for her "Senior Trip". When I was a senior I went to Mazatl?n with some buddies. Other friends went on a cruise. Some went for a road trip up the coast with just a few friends. Stevies answer to me was a family trip to Hawaii. Now, Hawaii may be out of the question due to the cost of it but that goes to show where her mind is. The thought of trolling for rainbows with the family sure is a good one. You sure are a class act and I appreciate the offer. Canyon fell in love with Scrabble while we were there. That was an awesome trip. I ate an elk burger today for lunch. It was delicious.

Steve

Never mind on the Pic Wisz!

I got a Pic/Pics!:D

I can Believe Ms Wisz being the Mom!

I don't know about you being the father Though!:D

RAZZIN Ya Wisz!:D

...you really gotta watch them college girls....
7186sexy-selfie-fail_5f.jpg

Is that what they Call a Selfie?

Just Wondering?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom