CO to Ban Den Hunting of Bears

OutdoorWriter

Long Time Member
Colorado may ban killing hibernating black bears​

By Keith Coffman ? Fri Mar 11, 12:13 pm ET

DENVER (Reuters) ? Hibernating black bears will no longer be fair game for Colorado hunters under new regulations proposed for the state, after an outcry over the killing of a 700-pound bruin in its den last fall.

Even some hunters have described the male bear's shooting death as unsportsmanlike and unethical, because the animal was not in the open but was resting in a secure place.

Colorado wildlife managers proposed the new regulation on Thursday, and the Colorado Wildlife Commission is widely expected to approve the policy change in May.

Randy Hampton, spokesman for the Colorado Division of Wildlife, said the agency uses a "fair chase" standard for hunting rules, meaning an animal should have a fighting chance to escape.

"Most sportsmen understand when a bear is denned, you don't crawl in a hole after him," Hampton said. "That's the type of thing we want to avoid."

Michigan, Pennsylvania and New Jersey also outlaw den hunting.

The killing of the bear in its den happened last November, when hunter Richard Kendall stalked and shot to death the massive animal near Meeker, Colorado, about 230 miles northwest of Denver.

Kendall told Reuters in a telephone interview that he and a hunting partner were looking for mountain lions, when they discovered bear tracks the size of his baseball cap.

They tracked the male bear to a cave and waited outside for the animal for several hours, he said.

"I was at the mouth of the cave and never crawled inside," Kendall told Reuters. "He started coming at me and I shot him."

Weighing in at 703 pounds, it was one of the largest black bears ever recorded in the state.

Although the kill was legal, Kendall was cited for shining a flashlight in the bruin's eyes and fined $68. Using artificial light to aid in hunting is illegal in Colorado.

The draft regulation before the Colorado Wildlife Commission states, "No person shall hunt, take or harass a bear in its den."

At Thursday's meeting representatives from two groups, the Colorado Trappers Association and the Mule Deer Association, spoke against the proposed rule change, citing their opposition to excessive regulation.

But a lifelong Colorado hunter, Joshua O'Manion, 35, told Reuters that he thought killing a denning bear "wasn't right."

"You don't shoot an animal that's sleeping. There's no sport in that," he said. "It's wrong unless you're starving and are going to eat the animal, and that wasn't the case here."

A male black bear, which is called a boar, usually weighs between 400 and 500 pounds and the female, or a sow, normally weighs around 200 pounds, according to University of Colorado biologist David Armstrong.

Colorado is home to about 14,000 black bears. Although they are called black bears, the animals cover the color spectrum, ranging from blond and cinnamon to brown and black.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

I figured as soon as I read that story some time ago that all hell would break loose about it being in that cave. I don't remember reading about him using a flashlight and I don't remember him saying the bear charged him and that's why he shot it. It seems like a reasonable change as I don't shoot a squirrel out of it's nest!

if they tracked the bear to the cave and shot it there i dont think they were wrong. how is it different than running a lion up a tree. if hounds run a lion or bear into a cave and someone shoots it no one gripes. maybe they should change the ending date on the hunt if they are worried about people shooting bears that are going into hibernation. i agree with the mdf that we have the right regulations in place and dont need more.

I had the same thought about shooting a cat or bear that was chased into a cave. Hard to tell where the line is drawn. I also wonder how many bears have been actually killed in their dens in Colorado in the last ten years? Probably one.

Can't use dogs, can't use bait, can't shoot them in a cave. What's next........can't use a rifle......can't use a bow........you have to wrestle them and knife em. Over regulation in my opinion. There's so many stinking bears here it's insane. Drive through Woodland Park the morning of trash pick up and you can get a pretty accurate count of how many are around.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-12-11 AT 07:41PM (MST)[p]If the bear is already denning, then I have no issues with the new regulation. However, if the bear is chased into its den and the new regulation prohibits the taking of that bear, then I due have a big
issue with that regulation.

Eldorado

I'm in agreement with the last post and that was basically my initial feelings when I made my first post, but didn't elaborate on it. It's hard to say what the deal is on this bear because now we are reading where they got a ticket for using a flashlight to shine into the cave. The initial story they told was that they tracked it to the cave and I believe thye said the guy went in after it and shot it. Now the story is that they used a flashlight and got a ticket and that the bear was charging them and they shot it in self defense. The whole situation is a little fishy and now because of what happened another regulation or law is going on the books which could cause problems like some of the others have mentioned when hunting them legally.

If the bear is sleeping in the den then I see no problem with the new rule. If the bear runs or is chased into the den or a cave then you should be able to go get him in a legal way.

I don't see not problem with this hunt. If they tracked it to its den, and waited outside of it for it to pop out. What's the difference between that and sitting in a tree stand waiting for a deer to stroll out of it bedding area?
I don't see this situation being any less ethical than running them with dogs or baiting them. (And I am not against either of them methods.
Hunting Bears in their dens has been a hunting technique long before we had rifles.
This method has been used by Alaskan Natives for hundreds of years. They would piss off the bear, shimmy outside of the den and wait for the bear to stand up. They would then place their sharpened stick on the ground and let the bear come down onto the spear. That seems a little more brutal than a quick shot from a gun...
To me, this action seems like a jealousy move more than anything.

The guy was charged with using an artificial light. That is admirable for the authorities to give him a ticket for something that he must have admitted to.

I found Joshua's statement interesting. "You don't shoot an animal that is sleeping unless you are starving..."

I would welcome the opportunity to shoot a bedded deer or elk. A clean kill in its bed is far superior to waking it up so you can be a "sportsman" and shoot it on the run.

What's with the starving thing? There is nothing wrong with killing a managed game animal for meat, even if grocery stores are open. I'm surprised this would come from hunter.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom