CO late goat hunts

D

DonV

The late goat hunts in CO have far better draw odds then the early hunts in the same unit. Considering that goats have better coats in the winter it seems a nobrainer to apply for late goat hunts.

I assume that the possibility of bad weather coupled with hunting goats that have been hunted for a few weeks is the reason for this. I have yet to hunt goats and any mature goat would thrill me, so as NR hunting unguided is a late goat hunt a good choice?

A mid oct. hunt seems very likely to be in bad weather, could it be possible I end up in a dangerous situation or unable to access goats do to snow?

I realize in the high country snow can happen even in august but it is far more likely mid oct. then mid sept.

thanks for any help in deciding what to apply for, and yes I have 3 pnts (and 1 weighted) and I really want to hunt goat and take any mature goat.

thanks

DonV Ohio

A friend of mine got his goat during the second rifle season this year. He wasn't able to hunt part of the season due to snow and made for some really ugly situations. While he was describing looking over a ledge covered with ice and snow for a goat that was below him I was thinking "no way, not me". Im not going second season I dont care how long the hair is !!! Gary

Snow during the late hunts can drift a lot of access shut. Be prepared for the worse conditions and a lot longer hike if this happens!

I hunted the 2nd season in G13. Last 2 weeks of September----Goats had good hair & the snow was not bad yet. Don't know what the odds are now. I drew in 2000. It took me 13 years to draw----that was before weighted points. CB

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom