CO gmu 21 or 22

Justinlip

Hi all, need some opinions and thoughts for 2024.

Would you go 21 2nd season or 22 3rd season for Colorado deer, and why?

Out of all the possibilities for putting in, I have it down to these two. My dad has limited mobility, thus these 2 options. Thank you!

Neither are what they used to be. A 150" buck will be a very reasonable buck in these units for those seasons. 22 was almost killed off because of the number of doe tags added a few years back, and the wild horses that are running all over. 21 isn't too far from the same especially 2nd season.

Never set foot in 21 or 22. Most people say there down, like all states across the west when it comes to mule deer. It’s a gamble in my opinion, 21 with the right weather could be good.

Having spent over 10 years in those units. It is disgusting how the area has went down hill. There is not a mature buck left in either unit. Sure you will see a few forkies and basket horn bucks. But where you used to see over 100 deer per day , you will now see 10. I grabbed a 22 second season tag off the leftover last year and it was depressing. After 10+ years we are now looking for other units to learn.

Last edited:
Second season has gotten a little more snow than 3rd it seems to me. For zero point units, I like second season a bit better than 3rd, but you are looking at burning points. Good luck.

Thanks for the input everyone! I know these units have gone down hill. My main concern is getting my father on a decent buck....heck a 4x4 around 150" would be great! He can maybe walk 200 yards from the truck and this maybe our last hunt together. I would like us to see deer daily and just have a good time. If I eat tag soup on this one, so be it.

Thanks for the input everyone! I know these units have gone down hill. My main concern is getting my father on a decent buck....heck a 4x4 around 150" would be great! He can maybe walk 200 yards from the truck and this maybe our last hunt together. I would like us to see deer daily and just have a good time. If I eat tag soup on this one, so be it.
22 would probably be more suited to your needs as far as access goes. A better road system through much of that unit. 21 probably has better bucks and buck numbers, but as long as you put in the time I think you could find something in 22.

If you go into it with a good attitude and just have a fun last hunt, you will have just that. If you go into it looking for a brute, you will be disappointed and will not find one 200 yards from the truck. If I were you , I would go have a great time with your dad, glassing, looking over a few bucks and in the end just get him a respectable buck. Take lots of pictures and make memories.

Thank you all for your input. There is a lot of information out there, unfortunately just as much bad as good. I appreciate you weighing in with actionable experience.

Having spend over 10 years in those units. It is disgusting how the area has went down hill. There is not a mature buck left in either unit. Sure you will see a few forkies and basket horn bucks. But where you used to see over 100 deer per day , you will now see 10. I grabbed a 22 second season tag off the leftover last year and it was depressing. After 10+ years we are now looking for other units to learn.
" Not a mature buck in either unit"? C'mon man are you that frkn stupid?

Uhhh
I know if a 215” deer killed in 21 last year!
This was an old deer so yes I have something to say.
Uhhh,
Good for you! There are big bucks killed in lots of units every year. Does that mean those units are in the same great shape they were 10 years ago?

Last edited:
Pm sent! Btw I'am a smart ass but at least I'm not a dumba$$ and say something like there is not one mature buck living in hundreds of square miles of prime Colorado deer habitat.
Have you been there? Have you spent anytime in those units in the last 4 years???

BTW...still waiting on that PM..🤡

Last edited:
Show me where I ever said that? Come on prove me wrong that I said that.
“There is not a mature buck left in either unit.” this was your quote.

Listen I did not post on this thread to fight and I totally respect your other posts on this site but your above quote is a flat ass lie.

Carry on.

I do believe that if mossback had said "the number of mature bucks is astoundingly less than it has ever been" that would be very understandable, because that's initially what I thought he meant. There are still mature bucks in both units, but the number is EXTREMELY low compared to all years past IMO.

Show me where I ever said that? Come on prove me wrong that I said that.
“There is not a mature buck left in either unit.” this was your quote.

Listen I did not post on this thread to fight and I totally respect your other posts on this site but your above quote is a flat ass lie.

Carry on.
That is my opinion, sorry if you don't agree. Sure you might see some bruisers in those units in late Nov/Dec but very few during any open season

Last edited:
I do believe that if mossback had said "the number of mature bucks is astoundingly less than it has ever been" that would be very understandable, because that's initially what I thought he meant. There are still mature bucks in both units, but the number is EXTREMELY low compared to all years past IMO.
and you would have understood what I meant correctly . Thank you.(y)

Agreed but I was going off of his quote.

Well, like most of the ole timers will and have told you on here, “the huntin ain’t what it used to be”.
That is correct, it’s not what it was in either unit and probably won’t be getting back to glory status maybe, quite possibly ever. Here’s the good news, the HUNT is what you’re after, I know by your post that killing isn’t your main goal. I think the third season will be better suited for your situation but I think either scenario you pick will provide what you’re looking for. Good luck, if 21 is your choice you’re welcome to shoot me a PM……hunted 3rd there a few years back.

215 is a mature buck to me. I hunted whitetails for 30 years in what is considered prime whitetail country, and shot two bucks I consider mature. Both tooth aged at 7.5. Both 150 class. Shot several more in the 160 range that were much younger though. I can count on both hand the mature bucks I even saw in those 30years.

Nope. I don’t know who dusty is but must be another mature buck killed in an area that you said big bucks do not live in.
UHH. No, It would have been an easy assumption since Dusty lives in 21 ,but that is not where his buck was from and since you do not know him, it is irrelevant.
I thought we were done with the Stabs but apparently not?
Fyi, I will be spending quiet a lot of time up on the Unc. this summer hopefully Ill run into you? ;)

🤣 You’re the one that brought it back up not me!
Maybe we can chill around a campfire in 61 this year.
You’re welcome to attend!

Unit 21 2020
1711212221598.jpeg

Whelp, that's over 150! I know not behind every bush, but they're there. I'm sure the exception and not the rule, but sill. Nice brows. Thanks for sharing

I always got a good laugh out of the California's and other non residents who id run into in 22 and 21 with a little 130, year old or button buck and these guys would be losing there mind. They truly believed they had shot the giant of the mountain. Good on them for being excited and tagging out....but dang lol. I got to the point of telling them they shot a year old...their faces would change extremely fast. "Oh...I thought this was a big one". Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you shot bambies baby brother.

I always got a good laugh out of the California's and other non residents who id run into in 22 and 21 with a little 130, year old or button buck and these guys would be losing there mind. They truly believed they had shot the giant of the mountain. Good on them for being excited and tagging out....but dang lol. I got to the point of telling them they shot a year old...their faces would change extremely fast. "Oh...I thought this was a big one". Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you shot bambies baby brother.
Haha I’ve seen the same thing, but it’s never only the NR’s.

Of the two mentioned… 21.
Those ahead of me have already made some valid points as to the state of what each unit is in. I wish things in either unit were in the state they were 20 years ago….

You mean like the dink you are so proudly holding in your profile photo? lol

You mean like the dink you are so proudly holding in your profile photo? lol
You're adorable. Because that was a 22, 3rd season tag after the unit basically died and that was the biggest we'd seen in 4 days. Proud? Nah, Happy though. Sure wasn't coming off the mountain squeeling. But happy that I got something out of a unit that a family member took a 200" buck a few years prior, and that we used to go through 100 bucks a day.

You're adorable. Because that was a 22, 3rd season tag after the unit basically died and that was the biggest we'd seen in 4 days. Proud? Nah, Happy though. Sure wasn't coming off the mountain squeeling. But happy that I got something out of a unit that a family member took a 200" buck a few years prior, and that we used to go through 100 bucks a day.

I'm just busting your nuts bro. For the record, I could care less what you shoot as long as you are happy..

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom