CO ewe hunts unit 3,4,and 32

M

moygrande

Here is my situation. Military wife, will not live here forever. Got 2 points, enough for ewe tag almost gauranteed. Want to spend them this year. Is there any reason you would pick one of these units over the other? I would consider myself in shape and up for the challenge,and an avid hunter even though this is my first sheep challenge. But I do not rock climb. I guess I am looking for the "easiest terrain" if there is such a thing in sheep country.
Any recomendations at all on these units is much appreciated. For the record they are giving a whopping 11 ewe tags on 2 different hunts in 32 and only 2 hunts twice in units 3 and 4. Another question is do you think that with only 2 tags each in 3 and 4 they will go to guys with weighted preference this time around.
And why does it seem totally simple to draw in 32 for ewe? Just because most people only want a ram? Or is it a little because the terrain is that much steeper and worse than other areas. Atleast it looks it from I-70.
Thanks for any advice.

Hey Moygrande -
The main reason they have more tags in 32 is the population. Estimates are 400 animals in S32 and 90 animals in S3 and S4. The reason it's easier to draw a ewe tag is because most people are holding out for a ram tag.
Most sheep terrain is pretty tough, but you shouldn't need to do any rock climbing unless you get yourself stuck in some tight spots (unfortunately I've done that).
FYI - I think you are making the right call going for a ewe tag if you aren't sure how long you are going to be here. Sheep hunting is a thrill. I was lucky enough to draw an S32 ram tag a few years ago, so I can give you tips for that unit if you decide to apply for that tag and draw it.
Good luck -
Pointer

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom