CO early Rifle 201 Elk tag

llamapacker

I've mentioned on other threads that I finally drew this Co 201 rifle elk tag. "Only" 32 points as a NR, and I was fairly lucky to draw.

I've spent a week there already in June, and will spend more time in July and August. I've hunted the unit off and on for late season antlerless animals with my boys, but this will be my first time hunting in October. (I've always been hunting somewhere else for elk in October, it seems.) I'm not having any problems locating bulls now, and understand much of the road system pretty well.

My question is how much do bulls move during the rut, and will they be in the same areas in October during the hunt as they are today. I know I will find bulls come October, but don't want to leave any stone unturned on what is clearly a once in a lifetime tag.

If anybody is willing to share information on this premium tag it would be appreciated. Don't hesitate to reach out by PM if preferred.

Thanks,

Bill

Bulls move and move and move some more during the rut. But from what I've seen, they don't move extremely far. If you see elk in a location now though, I wouldnt say it's extremely likely that he will be there come October, but you might find him not too far away.

I think scouting more than a few days is a waste. In a different unit, but a LE utah unit a distinct bull I had on one camera and 4 days later he was on another camera 30 miles away. Blew my mind. This was in 2011 so cameras were legal then. Although the bull my son shot last year was in the same 7 mile vicinity from Mid september to mid October.

I picked up the muzzleloader deer tag in 201 3ish years ago off the returned tag list. I only had one day to hunt (last day) and I never found a big buck, but we saw several bulls 350 plus in our one day. It was awesome. Archery hunters were awesome to share info. If you can be there during archery and get to know a few folks might help. Hard tag like that and people are great about helping out.

Have a great hunt and post a story when it is over.

Congrats on the tag. I had 29 pts last year and decided to go to unit 61 for a muzzleloader hunt. With the point creep I was always 2 to 3 points away from drawing the NW units like 201 and 2. Figured I would be too old by the time I got around to drawing the NW corner.
I don't regret burning up my points one bit. I had a great hunt and got my biggest bull ever. It was the hunt of a lifetime with plenty of big bulls running around.
Good luck on your hunt. It should be an experience of a lifetime.

A bull might not move at all, or he could move 30+ miles and in your case be in a different state. Honestly I think those elk in that 3 corners region move around quite a lot. Bulls you are seeing now could be up in Wyoming, or over in Utah. Or down in units 1, 2 or 10. But vice-versa bulls in those units will also move into 201.

I know of a bull in the bookcliffs unit that was seen on camera a week before the archery season, and was killed on the youth elk hunt in a general season unit over 30 miles away as the crow flys.

Fantastic tag. Not sure on the dates in October, but assuming it’s the first 20 or so rut could still be rocking. Bulls should be bugling and still trying to breed cows on their 2nd cycle

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom