CO antelope fun

marley

Very Active Member
My son is in the thick of college but we decided that if we didn’t hunt together this year we probably wouldn’t be able to for another five years due to graduate school. So we burned his 12 antelope points this year. A few weeks ago he let me know that because of exams he would only be able to hunt 1 1/2 days. Too late to turn in his tag back in to get his points back. I drove 300 miles yesterday trying to find him a good buck worth the 12 points. I found lots of bucks but they were all just bucks. Right at dark I turned up a really tall wide buck but he was on private property. I started calling some of the LAndowners in the area trying to find out who owned the piece he was on. Through a million telephone calls I finally found the owner and he actually answered the phone and granted us permission to hunt his ranch. If the buck moved 100 yards to the south we would be out of luck. This morning he was right on the edge. At 460 yards he was staring holes through us. Problem was when we went prone for the shot all my son could see was his head and neck. I told him to aim for the base of his neck. Boom….whaaaaap. We were done before the sun came up.

My youngest daughter also drew a doe tag for the same unit in the secondary draw and this would be her first ever hunt. After getting the buck loaded up we drove around where the buck’s does had run. They wouldn’t let us get within 1000 yards of them before taking off. Finally we were able to get a small hill between them and us. We belly crawled to the top to find them at 525 yards. She crawled up into the rifle and made a great shot to end our hunt.

I’m almost an empty nester with only this daughter left at home. I’m especially cherishing these moments. What a perfect day.
IMG_6716.jpeg

IMG_6723.jpeg

IMG_6754.jpeg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom