Clothes / Gear - WY elk

muleymaddness

Very Active Member
If you were planning ahead for a Wyoming elk hunt, rifle, in the Cody area - would you be looking at preparing with wool clothes/jacket or go the Sitka/Kuiu route?

I have not been to this area - only Colorado.

Thanks in advance!

Which month? can get cold there.

I use just Sitka and Kuiu anymore, much ligher and more comfortable than wool . if you do go that route buy the warmest stuff they sell and layer it like they say if you're going to be in cold weather. it's made more for walking in than sitting on a horse or sitting and glassing. Sitka's 90% jacket means you'll be cold 90% of the time, and I'm not one to get cold easy.

Stay thirsty my friends

More than likely, not the late hunt there. I wish the late hunt, but I have 1 under max points. I hear there can be some nasty wind and cold, even in October. I was planning on using the Sitka stuff with down or primaloft for insulation if I do go the Sitka route.

Sometimes in an area like that with the type hunt I'm looking at, it makes me want to go traditional with wool. But I have the Sitka stuff and know it's benefits for sure.

Layers is the way to go! If you are packing your gear and doing a bunch of hiking each day I'd pick the ligher...less bulky gear. Don't forget a rain jacket and pants! I like thinsulate or windstopper material rather than down if it's going to be wet. If you will be near a truck I'd bring it all!

Yes without max points the late hunts will be tough to get.

On my wifes late hunt near Cody last year I bought her the Sitka incinerator jacket and layered under that she stayed warm and dry even on the ride in and out. it wasn't real cold but cold enough to know it's good gear.

Look at the KUIU stuff hard too some of it I like better than Sitka. but for real cold I think Sitka has more to offer. the price seems insane until you wear it for a while then it seems like a bargain.

Stay thirsty my friends

Thanks for the replies. I agree - I like the advantages to the lightweight stuff that's layered well myself. I have the Jetstream jacket and on cold days wear a lightweight down pullover under it and it works great. Probably go with this system, rain jacket in pack, and may upgrade my down pullover. Still got the legs to contend with, but we'll see...

Thanks again for your help.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom