Close up!

buglinbilly

Very Active Member
212.jpg

Have a good one. BB

Sweet pic! I know absolutely nothing about them critters. I see he's polished up. When they shed the shealves, how long does it take them to grow new ones. That guy looks like he might be finished already?

Great close up...man I love the colors in the background too...it would look great printed on canvas and framed! Congrats and nice job!

>Sweet pic! I know absolutely nothing
>about them critters. I see
>he's polished up. When they
>shed the shealves, how long
>does it take them to
>grow new ones. That guy
>looks like he might be
>finished already?

Antelope normally begin to shed their horns in early Nov. But I have seen a few, over the years, that have already shed by mid Oct, although that is the exception and not the rule.

By the first days of August, in each year, the body on an antelope stops making horn and stops producing the material that builds the horn. The base underneath hardens and by rut time the horns are ready for battle. After the rut and around mind Oct. the body once again begins to produce the ingredients that cause horn growth. Once this begins again, the old, hard horns are pushed up and become loose and soon fall off. All winter and into the early summer horn growth continues and by late July or very early Aug, it stops and the cycle is complete, only to start once again in nid Oct.

I would say this buck has most of his horn, but it will continue to grow for another month or so.

Here's another photo of that same buck.

218.jpg

Have a good one BB

I see he's been in the mud.
Cool photos BB. I live the wicked ivory tips.
Zeke

Great "close-up" as always Billy! You definitely have the antelope gig down. I love your pictures.
Also, I don't know that you remember our visit, but your info and suggestions were key in our unit choice and my son taking a book buck last fall.
You are the man!
Thanks

Sure I remember Rick. I don't know if I have them down or they have me down!! Ha Ha I was up there a couple weeks ago and as I got out of a blind I hurt my back and had to have emergency surgery as my left leg quit working. It's coming back slowly but I still don't have the strength to lift my weight with my left leg. I see the surgeon tomorrow, the first time since my surgery. Hopefully I can get back up there soon and take some photos.

Here's a photo I took the last time I was up there. The wind was blowing so hard I thought it was going to blow the blind over. Notice in this next photo the mane on the does neck. The hair does not grow that way. It was the wind blowing it sideways.

I am glad the information I gave you helped.

215.jpg

And here's a photo I took a couple weeks before this last one. It was late May and so the winter coat was coming off in gobs!

190-2.jpg

And I ran into this ole gal and she heard me talking to a friend of mine about you and she must have heard me say your name, as soon as I did, she winked at you and said in her own way, " I think that guy's cute!"

228.jpg

Have a good one. BB

My back and my head have always been my weak link., This is my third back surgery and compared to last years bowl surgery, it was a walk in the park. I have lots of drive and lots of reason to get back at it, and so I should do very well. Thanks for wishes.

217.jpg

Have a good one. BB

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom