cleaning your engine

eelgrass

Long Time Member
I've never done it before, but I would like to clean the engine compartment of my truck. I don't have any oil leaks....just dusty dirty. The thought of running a bunch of water under the hood is kind of weird/scary.

How is the best way to do it? Thanks.

Eel

it's not a 40 incher but it's closer than the last 40 incher you posted....

JB

What year and type of car?

I had an old 69 and a 72 chev truck that I always threw a towel over the distributor cap, then went to town on the rest with a high pressure hose at the car wash, gotta be careful not to get any moisture in the distributor cap though or it won't start till you dry it out.

Now I have a 2010 tundra, just pop the hood and spray away. Not going to hurt a thing.

Get it up over 55 mph and it will blow some of the carbon build up from the inside too.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Take it to a detail shop!

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p248/nv_hunter/nevadaanimatedhelmetwd2.gif[/IMG]

Well Eel!

There's a couple ways to clear the Dust!

1:Just keep up with others in the Mormon 500!:D

2:Make sure engine is Fully up to Temp as you pull in to the car wash,Wash the Distributor cap first with lots of cold water,make sure your Cell Phone is working & Call Rans or CUPSY to come rescue you!:D

Dust will be gone!

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!
And a good BBQ!
I am Medicine And I am Poison!

It's a 2003 Tacoma. I tried blowing it off with my compressor....it's kind of sticky dust. It hasn't been cleaned since I bought it new.

Keep up with the Mormon 500?? ARE YOU NUT'S??:)

nickman, what did the wife say?

Eel

JB

Eel!

You can buy some engine cleaner made by GUNK and other brands that comes in an aerosol can,kinda goes on as a foam,let it sit for a while & then rinse off!

You're in KALI damn it!

Make sure you park your Rig on a tarp to catch the contaminates before you start this process!

We don't wanna piss the GREENIES off ya know?:D

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
And a good BBQ!

Eelgrass....here is what I use to use before on my other PU engine compartment and it works good.
Get a bottle of SIMPLE GREEN and a spray bottle, mix it half and half and spray on the motor, firewall, front cross member etc. and wait about 10 minutes. Do this at a car wash and then high pressure it with Hot Water and the dirt and grime will go away and then rinse with cold water. Look like it was a brand new PU inside there.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

I will second the Simple Green aproach. I go to the car wash so my engine is warm and spray that stuff on there. If its only dust you're dealing with it will clean up like new. I usually do this about once a month. My engine looks like I just drove it off the showroom floor.

It's always an adventure!!!

Thanks. I'm going to try the Simple Green thing.

I will have my cell phone handy though.

Eel

JB

Go to a Used car place and ask them, ever notice that it looks like you can eat off the engine of a Jeep with 130K miles? I read somewhere that they sprayed the engine compartment with Tire Foam after the initial clean up to make it look that way. John

Drafstud, used car lots absolutely use tire foam as a final touch. Beware of the shiny motor!

Simple Green, followed by tire foam. If I can get my truck started after that, I'll need a pair of sun glasses. Thanks.

Maybe I'll post before and after photos.

Eel

JB

I have used the stuff called totally awesome for years. Its an engine degreaser as well as many other things it does. You can buy a spray bottle full of it at the dollar store for a buck. I have used it to clean my motor, clean my carpets in my truck, clean oil spills etc. I have used it for the past 6 years with no problems. Good luck to you on your adventure!

I did it! I just used Simple Green and a garden hose with a spray nozzle. I covered up the electronics and the alternator with plastic and let it fly. It even started up after.:) I let it run for awhile to dry good.

Cool. Thanks!!!Even at my age it's good to face your fears. LOL!

Eel

5678cleanengine-002.jpg

4172cleanengine-005.jpg

JB

Is that thing AMERICAN MADE....don't even look like a motor??

Just razzlin you Steve, looks clean to me but I still find you if you try to hide....LOL

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

That looks to be a Foreign Pisscutter Engine,WTF?:D

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
And a good BBQ!

Rutnbuck, no but I can eat dinner off the manifold now.

Eel

JB

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom