Chuckers

wackandstack

I was planning on taking my 10yr old son out this weekend for his first chucker hunt here in Utah. I went out yesterday to check an area that holds birds. Found out that it has burned. Do you think the birds will still be there or not. If not then I am stummped on a place to take him that isn't to steep due to he has asma. Any help would be great. Thanks

If there are green grass shoots growing the chukars will want to be there eating them. This time of year they are dependant on a water source, and they will also need cover, so if your area is a clean burn it might not be the best choice for you. Chukars like the steep stuff, so with your boy having asthma, chukar hunting might not be for him. The DWR usually puts on youth hunts and plants birds in certain areas, that would probably be a good option for you. Do you have a dog? Chukar hunting without one is pointless. If you're near me, I would be glad to run my dogs for an interested kid. I am in Southern Utah, if you're interested.

They will come back to a burned area but getting close enough for a shot is going to be tough. You need cover so they can't see you as the dog is pointing. No cover means long range flushes. Ron

Ya im talking about the youth hunt. They changed it this year and wont be holding them on the WMA's this year. They are just opening the hunt up for one day for the youth. Thanks for the reply's.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom