Christmas Tree Adventure

dingo

A few years ago, my family and I spent Thanksgiving salmon fishing on the Smith River up around Crescent City, Ca.
We had a motorhome and pulled a '66 Landcruiser that I had fabricated a boat rack to fit over the soft top that carried our 14' aluminum. It was a great trip with a lot of rain and snow. It put some color in the river and I landed a 45# hen that still had sea lice and also caught a few jacks.

My brother and I decided that to top off the perfect trip, we would go cut a tree in the National Forest. We loaded up the cruiser with tire chains, lunch, extra fuel cans, and I told my brother to be sure we had the ax. We stopped in at the ranger station to get a tree permit. The ranger gave us a bright orange band which she instructed us that it had to fit around the base of the tree in order for it to be legal. No problem.

We didn't have any maps so I asked her where the best place might be to find a good tree. She smiled and pointed to a map under the glass on the counter and informed us that we could find trees anywhere in the green shaded area but the "best" trees were in an area off of something-or-other "bear or lion something road". It was the highest elevation in the area and had silvertips. That was all we had to hear, looking back I guess you could say that we took the bait hook, line, and sinker. I took a mental picture of the map and we headed out.

The gates were open for the forest service road and I navigated the intersections in search of the perfect silvertip. It was raining and the defrost couldn't keep up and I was clearing out a hole with a rag. Then we hit the cloud deck and everything went white. Literally. We thought the snow was the perfect touch. It started to get slick so I stopped and chained up. I was thinking that I hoped nothing went wrong because it could be years before anyone could find us. We drove for hours, busting through the snow and finally broke into a basin that had been logged and replanted and there they were just like she said. Beautiful silvertips everywhere!

We found one that we both agreed on. Had pinecones and everything. That was when I made the first of two discoveries. I told by bro to get the axe and he gave me this funny look. "I thought you were going to get it?" Couldn't believe it. We tore that rig apart and all I could come up with was some ham sandwiches, a big bag of nachos, a case of Mt. Dew, n 870 12-gauge, a roll of duct tape, some wire, a fencing tool and a high-lift jack.

I got to thinking, that 12 blows a pretty big hole in plywood, why not a tree? Took about 6 shots and down she went. That was when I make the second discovery. It is a little known fact that an 8 foot tree will double in length as it falls. Trying to get that tree tag on was like watching my uncle Bucky trying to adjust his belt after Thanksgiving dinner. We had to heat it on the valve cover but got it to properly fit.

Took some doing but we got it winched on to the boat rack and tied off. I looked like a tree just fell on our cruiser. I just hoped that we didn't get pulled over and accused of running an illegal logging operation.

At any rate, we made it out of there and got back to camp well after dark. Made it home in good form. One of our best trees ever. Kind of like hunting, not always what you got but how it all came together. Merry Christmas.

Cool story.

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

Great story.

Prooves the old addage, "There is NO problem that cannot be solved with the proper application of gunpowder"

"Fathom the hypocracy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove that they are insured.....but not everyone must prove that they are a citizen"

Dingo, you were in my back yard catching my fish and cutting my tree! LOL!

Good story and way shift on the fly with the12ga. handsaws.

We got some awesome country here, too bad it's stuck in such a chitty
state. Used to think I would never leave but it hasn't been the same in the last 10 years.

Bill

Look out Forkie, FTW is watching us!

I have a similar story but mine would be called "got drunk and shot a box of clay pigeons in a snow storm"...

Cool story AS LONG AS...you didn't put any Christmas lights on that tree!!

~Z~

After my daughter was born my wife and I decided it was time we started putting up a tree for Christmas. We picked up a tag from the Forest Service and drove up to one of my favorite hunting spots. We left my sleeping 7 month old daughter in the truck and started searching for a tree. We dropped a beauty and drug it back. We were on our way home when my wife started rubbing her eye and complaining that it hurt. The white part of her eye swelled up and looked a fried egg. We headed straight for the emergency room and they determined she got something in her eye she was allergic to. That tree ended up costing us $508.

The next year we headed out again to cut a tree. Much more snow on the ground this time and we had trouble getting off the road. We parked at a trail head and put my daughter in a backpack. It was in a steep canyon and the only place that looked promising was across the river. We tested the ice and it looked solid, so off we went. Dropped a nice Doug Fir and started back to the truck. My wife stepped onto the ice and broke through up to her waist. The metal frame on the pack was the only thing that kept her from going deeper. I got my out daughter out and then pulled her out. She headed up stream and made it across safely. She was soaked and her pants froze solid by the time she made it to the truck. I crossed with the tree and one leg broke through the ice, soaking me up to my crotch. When I got back my wife was trying to get her frozen pants off and my daughter slipped and slid under the truck. I cracked my head trying got get her out.

The next year we went to a tree farm and had them cut a tree for us.

I found a nice tree years ago on muzzleloader hunt. Me and a buddy went back to get the tree just as we started sawing the saw broke. We had a 12 gauge so that is how we ended up cutting it down. So yes it can be done. Nothing wrong with the 12 gauge saw.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom