Cheyenne

K

KILLBUX

I might have the opportunity at a job in Cheyenne. What are the pros/cons of living in this area? I'm used to wind and cold winters, so aside from the weather what are the hunting opportunities like, what about living within +/- 30 minutes of Cheyenne, etc. I appreciate your comments.

I lived there for 4 years...everything close to Cheyenne is either over hunted or private leased to outfitters. As long as you're willing to drive 2 1/2 hrs to hunt you can do real good on antelope, deer, and elk each year...good luck.

I moved to Cheyenne first part of this summer and do a fair amount of traveling for work, but have a good amount of free time and love the area the people and the fact that with in a 4 hour drive I can hunt 4 different states. As far as the hunting goes I have pics of 150" to 170" bucks with in 25 minutes of my door step and have seen tons of antelope along with some elk and moose all on public just got to get out and look. So you might not be able to fill your tag of your front deck, but if your going to make more money have more time, and be happier than what your doing now I'd take it.

If you have any question pm me I'd be happy to help from area's to live to hunting spots.

Trevor

Sorry for the long response but I am trying to help out a fellow MMer.

I am in the process of moving away from Cheyenne and to Alaska. This is not because I hate Wyoming but because I want the Alaskan adventure and my wife said Yes! I moved here from Utah. IMO there are both pros and cons...

Let me start with the pros:

The hunting is out of this world. I hunt within two hours of Cheyenne for elk, deer, and lopes.

ELK: I have had no trouble filling my elk tags on the first day of my archery elk hunts every year. In fact, I have not hunted more than 4 hours for elk in any single general season (took a little longer on a draw unit but was holding out for a big bull). It is in the MM archives. I have seen 300+ class bulls every year on general season units. In fact I have seen 330 class bulls every year.

Deer: The deer hunting I have found in the area of Cheyenne is second to NONE. I have seen 180 class bucks every year. The last two years I have seen bucks that would go over 200 on public land and this year I saw a buck that would go over 200 about 1/4 mile onto private. Not much different than anywhere else. If you are willing to walk more than a mile from the road you can do very well. Most of the people I have seen around Cheyenne are road hunters and have no idea what they are missing. This is the deer I shot this year.

20012012_deer.jpg

Not the biggest but was glad to remove him from gene pool. This is the smallest buck I had a shot on this year. He is 24 wide and 21 tall. Just a 3x4 with small eye guards (he might make 4x4 but not to me). I have watched this deer for the past three years and he has not really grown much. The deer seasons were shortened this year which made the hunts a little harder for me. This is a picture of a average deer that can be had with very litte work!

Antelope: The lope hunting in Wyoming is a great fun hunt. There are more antelope than people and finding antelope is a joke. They are everywhere.

The spring turkey hunts are fun and there is plenty of public land. It's fairly easy to find and kill a turkey if you try.

The pheasant hunting sucks but you are close to Colorado which has great pheasants in the north east (IMO).

I don't hunt ducks or geese anymore so can't help you there.

The fishing is also great!

Now the cons...

The wind in Wyoming sucks! I thought it wouldn't be a big deal but it is to me. The regularly close I-25 and I-80 because of winds. I have personally seen two semi trucks blow over. I have seen countless ones turned over on the side of the road. When I built my house they asked if we wanted the 90 MPH roof shingles or the 110 MPH shingles. The builder talked me into 110 and he was right. Almost every winter Cheyenne gets 80+ MPH wind gusts. There was a 96 MPH gust of wind out by my house on Horse Creek last year. It seems to me that there is almost a constant 30+ MPH wind in the winter of Cheyenne and multiple days of 50-60 MPH sustained winds.

Cheyenne is one of, if not the biggest towns in Wyoming. It is small. The best thing about Cheyenne as a town (not the outdoors)is that Fort Collins CO is only 45 minutes away. When people come in to visit they fly into Denver (100 Miles). Everything is a drive.

If you have kids, Cheyenne is not a great town. Every year they put a rec center on the ballot and every year it gets voted down. I have heard a lot of people say that if you want those type of things move to Fort Collins.

There is very little in the way of good food in Cheyenne. Red Lobster and Outback are about as good as it gets. Again, Fort Collins has good food but it's an 45 min drive. There is a Cafe Rio in Fort Collins!
I Hope that helps. PM me if you want any more info.

Thanks for all of your responses guys - keep em coming if you can, this really does help. I'm in Cheyenne right now, so I might have more questions when I get back.

Thanks!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom