Chelsea girl

joesikora

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Oct-16-16 AT 10:09PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-16-16 AT 10:06?PM (MST)

Our rescue chocolate lab Chelsea girl's joints have gotten so bad that my wife has decided to have her put down tomorrow. I have had to take our dog(s) to the vet before to have them down but it just feels weird that we have made an appointment to take her. To me it's like ordering her execution. I feel terrible. I know that it's best I guess, but it still sucks!

Joe

"Sometimes you do things wrong for so long you
think their right" - 2001
"I can't argue with honesty" - 2005
-Joe E Sikora

Done it myself, and had the vet do it also. No good way to lose a family member and friend. I cry like like a baby if I have to do it myself!

That is one tough thing to do. I spent 20 minutes alone with
the last dog I put down....after she was euthanized. They are family members.

I have a 14 + year old German shorthair. He's doing good considering his age, but I'm really not looking forward to that day.

JOE,....SORRY TO HEAR THAT, HAD TO DO IT MYSELF SEVERAL YEARS BACK. PERHAPS A NEW PUPPY IS IN ORDER.....TIME HEALS.............YD.

This is the hard part about having dogs as they end up being part of the family and you don't have them put down because they are old.
This just sucks I still can see my Golden Sheba looking at me as I left her there. Still haunts me
Sorry for your loss

This is so difficult. Your dog depends on you to make the hardest decision, when she has lost quality of life. I have wondered if the reason dogs' lives are shorter than humans' is so they give us experience before we have to go. I believe dogs go to a better place, which I hope to see someday.

Sad to hear about your dog. That is the hardest part of having them but they are worth it! Don't really understand why dogs don't live longer. Better days ahead??

Its hard writing while crying but I want to thanks all of you guys for your support. You have no idea how much it helps knowing I have such good friends scattered across the states. We have taken Chelsea to the Vet and hopefully she's not in pain anymore and is running and dancing around with our other dogs.

I love you Chelsea girl

Joe

-Joe E Sikora

I guess it's too late but I was going to suggest having the vet come to you. My dog hates going to the vet. When it comes time for him I will have the vet come to us.

sorry to here that that time has come . I have been there many times myself and know its really a hard thing to do. Our last one was the hardest for our whole family. He was a chocolate lab named Pal. I couldnt stand watching my sons bury him along with his favorite blanket, ball and a couple decoys. As fate had it a month or so after Pals passing we came into 2 black Labs..Duke and jake.... really helped with the kids and grand-kids. I dont want to loose any other family members. Peace to you and yours

I just put down my daughters dog.My wife and daughter made a vet appointment. Rather then waiting like you said. We took him up on the mountain to a favorite spot and took care or it "old yellower " style. Not a fun thing to do. I guess I was to cheep to pay the vet and a 22 shell was much cheaper. It's hard but a man go to do what a mans got to do. Give it time . God didn't make a good dogs life long enough. That way at least you can have a few great dogs in your life. With all my tough talk, I cried like a baby doing it !!!!!

Stoney, we always do the same bury them in their blanket and favorite toys
Thanks follow sharing

Joe

-Joe E Sikora

BigjohnT, thanks

Joe

-Joe E Sikora

I'm not going to start a new post for this, but I just got a FB notice of another classmate of mine passing away,. How is this possible? We are only 55! When did I get old?

Joe

-Joe E Sikora

I just showed Mrs Sikora all your well wishes and she was in tears. She wants me to thank all of you

Thanks again
Joe

-Joe E Sikora

Joe,
I feel for ya. I had to do this with my 11 year old lab, last Nov. It was without a doubt, the most heart wrenching thing I've ever gone through. Literally bawled like a baby. Holding her and seeing her look at me as life went out, impacted me like I never imagined. Took her home and buried her in my yard. I can only say I'm sorry for your lose.

Yelum

YBU

7019yelumlogosig2.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Oct-18-16 AT 11:42AM (MST)[p]Sorry to hear that Joe. It is really tough. No easy way around it. However, having them is really rewarding and worth it!!! I've had to do this several times. One of the worst was my police service dog that was with me 24 hours a day for nine years of service and then four years at home after his retirement. Yes, I have had several good cry's in my life over my dogs. My garden in the back yard is a pretty good graveyard of pets.

Joe - I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Having to make the decision to put 'my' first dog down (and awesome big ol' lab named Blake) when I was around 37 years old was easily THE HARDEST thing I've ever had to face in my life. It doesn't seem fair to have to go through that. Hopefully memories of your time with Chelsea will comfort you and your wife some in this time of loss.

For future reference other MM guys, look into 'in home pet euthanasia' in your area. My dog actually loved going to the vet - he was just that stinkin' friendly - but there was no way I could face taking him in someplace to have him put down. Having a vet come into our home where Blake and my wife and I were comfortable seemed like it was way better and just a more fitting end to his life (in my opinion anyway).

If you haven't already, take a look at the poem Rainbow Bridge.

Thanks osu and everyone else for all your support

Joe

-Joe E Sikora

I'm sorry for you, I've been there so many times and it never gets easier.

Take comfort in knowing you gave your dog a great life and didn't let her suffer at the end. what more could any animal ask.

You can judge a person by how they treat a dog.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

Thanks Brother

Joe

P"Sometimes you do things wrong for so long you
-Joe E Sikora

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom