Checking Whether ??????

N

never_satisfied

LAST EDITED ON Jan-14-11 AT 05:15PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-14-11 AT 05:13?PM (MST)

Last year I had a bit of a incident and got stranded on the mountain for 3 extra days because of a unexpected snow storm
This year we will be taking 3 kids (first time hunters)with us to Wyoming and Utah.And I have promised my wife I will come up with a idea to be able to check the weather forecast while we are hunting
I don't want to depend on a cell phone service for it
But any other ideas I would appreciate

P.S It won't let me change my spelling now in the subject column
but at lest my spelling was right in the message
DAMB!!! I feel cheep

ITS ALL ABOUT MEAT-IN WITH THE TAXIDERMIST

Rent a satellite phone for the time you will be out there to contact whoever you need to in order to stay up on weather developments.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-14-11 AT 04:59PM (MST)[p]The sat phone is the best answer.

,,,,,whether you think you need to check the weather, whither thou goest.

Couldn't wait for JB! Sorry.

Checking weather in the high country can be a tricky thing sometimes. I spend alot of time above 9000 feet in Utah. You can check the weather down low and it may have nothing to do with the weather up high. We do check the weather and sometimes it say it will be clear, but in snows on the mountain. I have been on the mountain and had snow in june and july.
So the best advise i can give is to beprepared for everything and anything.

Be cheaper to get a beatle in a matchbox like granny uses.
Or a portable weather station.

We use Rhino gps radios . They have weather channels on them. Just make sure you are listening to the right report. It may make your wife feel better. You can track your kids on them.If they got lost you can use the go to feature and find them. I make my dad and boys carry them and you can always find them.
My brother in laws have them to. So when we are pushing timber you can see where everybody is on the screen.
Maybe this is what you are looking for ?

LAST EDITED ON Jan-14-11 AT 07:54PM (MST)[p]Cell phones best way to go. I better not be the only guy on this website everyone gets after for my grammar. DAMB it I feel cheeted ;)

How about one of the fine tune short wave radios? Is AM radio available nearly everywhere. We were in BFE Canada for a fly out and were 1.5 hours by plane to the nearest town or settlemen and we had AM. Not sure about the high county since I never had a need yet or tried.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-14-11 AT 08:50PM (MST)[p]Most weather reports cover a general area. As stated above, what is happening in the section your hunting, at that altitude may be significantly different then a few miles off at a different altitude.

Watch the sky and learn to read the clouds. Pay attention to type of wind and direction. The wind bringing in a front is different than that ushering in an immediate storm. In the high country, weather can change amazingly fast. In the early season, lightening is something you want to take seriously, as well as the risk of hypothermia if you or the kids get soaked. More people die of hypothermia when the temperatures are in the 60s and low 70s than below freezing. Wind chill when wet makes a huge difference. Teach the kids to watch for natural shelters as you glass and hike. It is a good habit to develop. You'll find a lot of micro-climates in the mountains, but pay attention if you notice a significant temperature drop in a relatively short amount of time.

If you have an idea of temperature, humidity, and dew point, you can pretty accurately predict precipitation. A portable weather station might be helpful, if your willing to learn to use it.

http://www.gemplers.com/product/125...15&srccode=cii_13736960&cpncode=22-95502242-2
Google "portable weather station" and you'll find a variety.

It might be worth your wife's piece of mind to get a SPOT so you can send periodic messages...

A GPS with a barometer can help you get out before you get pounded with snow, but they are costly if you don't already have one.

RE: Checking Weather ??????

noaa.gov lets you check the forecast beforehand at the same elevation you will be at and they rarely predict less weather that what you'll experience.
Also on some walkie talkies you can just hold the talk button down for 5 or so seconds and it will give a forecast.

+1 on the walkies

Just make sure you buy the ones that have the weather service available and I would spend the extra money to get the ones with the extended range.

We also use a good old fashion weather rock:

If the rock is wet its raining
If the rock is dry...

You get the point :D

Simple Old Indian trick. Get a weather rock. Now the trick on how to read it.

If it is wet it is raining
If it is covered with snow it is snowing or has snowed
If it is hot it is sunny.

Can be subsituted as a Ben Wa Ball.

Rutnbuck

LAST EDITED ON Jan-19-11 AT 10:47AM (MST)[p]In addtion to learning how to read Clouds/Wind etc (which is fairly easy to do), I am surprised no one has mentioned using a Weather Watch like the Suunto Vector or Origo Granite Peak. both have Altimeter/Barometer/Temperature/Trend Graphs and are fairly accurate once calibrated to your area.

I like both for different reasons, but the Origo has a simple picture on the Home Screen of the watch that shows conditions based of the computed info: Sun = Sunny/little to no chance of showers, Sun with Cloud = Partly Cloudy/chance of showers, Clouds = Medium probability of Showers, Cloud With Rain Drops = High Probability of showers. It also has a 24 hour trending graph of the Barometric Pressure so you get an idea of where things might be heading.

PLUS...Either can be found (with a good GOOGLE Search) for around $100 or less!

Of course, the only thing that is 100% is the Weather Rock ;)

?-ERock-> ?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom