cheap wool

smitty

Very Active Member
Where can a guy find some wool for a good price? Not this over priced camo bullcrap either. Just some good quality wool. Or is it over hyped? Is some of the wooltimate fleece stuff at cabelas as good?

I think wool is a good product, I just don't like the heaviness.

I know that Titty, 1911, and chubby are gonna have some smarta$$ comments about velcro gloves and helping some poor sheep over the fence.....if we are gonna go that route at least come up with some new material. Judast!

columbia is ok...but the crotch wears out quick if you do any walking at all...
i like the loden green shirts and grey pants that cabelas sells.

Sportsmansguide.com
I have some military surplus pants, and I've had them for years.
They have several dif types of wool clothing, and it often comes in 2 or 3 packs....for under 20 buckeroooos.
John 14:6

Cabellas washable wool is good stuff,I have 2 shirts and pants.Don't know where it is made now. Woolrich stuff I have is great but more expensive.I have some military surplus stuff that is OK. Good wool is not too cheap anymore.Chinese stuff is junk. Check out Sierra Trading post for discount online.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-16-12 AT 06:09AM (MST)[p]Some will laugh at this, but back in the days when I couldn't even afford to pay attention, I would go look through the racks in thrift stores, like DI. You could find light weight and medium weight 100% wool pants on the dress pants racks. Many were brand new. The owners must have outgrown them or something. They were perfect for early fall hunting and very comfortable. The colors were also conducive to hunting, black or gray.

Hey SMUT?

Did you mean Sheeeeeeep Wool?:D

Wisz was a Hell of a Sport this year even if He did tell the UDWR to F-Off during the Phone Call!:D
15" Bases?
30" 5ths?
Missing 450" Bull!
The next 4 years is Slicks Fault,again,GEEZUS!
GOOD GAWD A MIGHTY!

>LAST EDITED ON Nov-16-12
>AT 06:09?AM (MST)

>
>Some will laugh at this, but
>back in the days when
>I couldn't even afford to
>pay attention, I would go
>look through the racks in
>thrift stores, like DI. You
>could find light weight and
>medium weight 100% wool pants
>on the dress pants racks.
>Many were brand new. The
>owners must have outgrown them
>or something. They were perfect
>for early fall hunting and
>very comfortable. The colors
>were also conducive to hunting,
>black or gray.

Oh GAWD!

The DI Shoppers!:D

Wisz was a Hell of a Sport this year even if He did tell the UDWR to F-Off during the Phone Call!:D
15" Bases?
30" 5ths?
Missing 450" Bull!
The next 4 years is Slicks Fault,again,GEEZUS!
GOOD GAWD A MIGHTY!

china japan same worthless people, you will be working 16 hours a day with no lunch. by the end of the next 4 years,,,

The wooltimate clothing that cabela's sells is very good. I especially like it with wind barrier which I cannot remember the name of it right now. Berber fleece is also very good. Cabela's has the wooltimate and berber fleece clothing with the wind stopper stuff in it on sale quite often.
As stated above, you can get military surplus wool for very reasonable prices. fatrooster.

Costco had some Merino wool shirts this summer really cheap ($30?). They have worked well all season, but of course at Costco they may not still have them any longer.
Bill

I have Codet, Cabelas Wooltimate and Colombia wool. I also really like the military surplus stuff and I think it is the best bang for your buck out there, but I am too fat and can't ever find it in my size. I really like the wooltimate because I can wash it in the machine. I have about worn out my Colombia wool jacket, but I have worn that thing a lot. Wool is heavy, doesn't block wind really well and gets really heavy if its wet. That being said, I still think it is one of the best hunting fabrics out there. It breaths, insulates well, and insulates even when wet. When it is too cold for my microtex I pull out the wool. I use gaiters with my wool in the snow to keep the wool for absorbing too much water and weighing me down.

Dax

There is no such thing as a sure thing in trophy mule deer hunting.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-16-12 AT 06:17PM (MST)[p]I have used military surplus wool pants with good result,(long lasting and inexpensive), The down side was fit was not very good for me. I now have Cabela's "Dry Plus" wool coat and vest, The "Dry Plus" is wind and waterproof/resistant. I have and like Cabelas washable wool shirts. Looking to buy some pants soon. It is all expensive. However nothing beats wool when conditions are cold and wet.

I would check with Okinawa Mutton Busters. They make a complete line of DIY sheep capture and sheering kits. They come complete with Okinawa brand mutton gloves and oversized boots.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

You may have to wait a little longer for Chubby's response. He is playing dress up in Coeur d'alene Idaho.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

"find light weight and medium weight 100% wool pants on the dress pants racks."

+1, you will find some nice early season pants this way.

I don't know what you qualify as "cheap", but I picked up a set of Columbia wool pants and jacket a couple of years ago, at season's end, for about half price. They are fairly heavy. I am sure that there are any number of good brands with pros and cons. If you know any ranchers, find out what they wear as it will be durable.

I too like the Columbia wool. Also, don't forget about good old Woolrich. Their stuff is not high tech by any means, but it has been doing great for sportsmen for probably over 60 years, and it's affordable as any other brand.

>Hey SMUT?
>
>Did you mean Sheeeeeeep Wool?:D
>
>
>
>Wisz was a Hell of a
>Sport this year even if
>He did tell the UDWR
>to F-Off during the Phone
>Call!:D
>15" Bases?
>30" 5ths?
>Missing 450" Bull!
>The next 4 years is Slicks
>Fault,again,GEEZUS!
>GOOD GAWD A MIGHTY!

649 posts and 700 of them are rude or crude. Good hell pussycat, isn't there anything better to do out there in the toilet basin;)

Look for used wool. On Ebay you can find good Pendleton 100% wool shirts for about $20. That is a good price, my friend. Likewise, look for M-51 Army surplus wool trousers for about $20. I use this set-up for elk hunting and it works great. This is not heavy wool but medium weight wool. You wear wicking long underwear underneath.

Over this I will wear a Filson wool vest that I love. The Filson vest, however, was bought new and was not cheap: about $120 I recall. Maybe you can buy one of these on-line used somewhere or some other kind of wool vest.

Wool is great for hunting.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom