Chains

I like the V bar style chains. Some of the new trucks say you can't put chains on because there is no room for them and I think thats when you should use cable chains. This site has them all www.vulcantire.com

Thats what I have used with the best success. They grab like crazy and fairly low profile when compared to the next style of chain that will grab just as good. Otherwise if your wheel-wells will allow, use truck chains.

BTW if ya wanna steer while driving down a mountain ya better put them on the front.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

I have never needed chains until our NM 2b trip last November. It would seem to me from what I learned on that trip that if you need to chain two up you should chain all four for pull and especially on the front end for steering.

Some of the newer trucks do not have enough clearance for chains on the front (brackline, ball joints or frame) check yours out before your purchase.

I learned the clearence issue on some of the newer trucks afew years ago. Got into a pickle and tried to chain up the fronts as thats all that Ive ever needed is the fronts chained up, no room. So did chained the backs up, worthless as it would want to keep swinging the back end around. Needless to say, traded that truck in, didnt like it anyways.

That was why we had chains for all four wheels for John's 2003 Sierra. With just the back wheels chained he quickly found that the front tires went every which way and he had no steering control. With chains on all four, he had no further problems going where he wanted to, but we also used a little common sense in that regard also and didn't push it to get into areas that looked real bad.

I've never been stuck. I have been chained up all the way around and had to shovel, hi lift jack and move a ton of rock to get the truck moving again. I've always wanted to see what is over the next rise. Any chain that has a traction device added to the chain will help with Ice. If you have mud under the snow or using them for mud the bigger the lugs the better. Les Schwab has an ice breaker chain I have used. Only as long as you have space in your wheel well for it. If you have to use cable chains you better hope you don't have far to go as they wont last for to many miles. Good luck, some of the funiest times we have had is miles after the chains were put on.

DZ

I like chains with cam locks. They are easy to put on and stay tight. I got mine at Les Schwab for under $100 a pair. They are also powder coated so they resist rust.
Don

i cant think of the brand i use for my cummins.. they just sit in the tool box most of the time. but while heading up these mountains i throw the chains on the horse trailer so i dont loose my horses on the mountain switch-backs..

LAST EDITED ON Jul-18-12 AT 07:30AM (MST)[p]My father-in-law made me some chains out of Semi-Tractor chains. The nice thing about them is they are custom fit. Like most of you I own a truck that says no front end chains. With them being custom made, there is a less chance of them falling off and causing damage to my front end. My tires are 35x12.50, so it might take a little more time to make them for smaller tires.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom