Central Uintas Goat Down - Need Help

I

IAkota

Just returned to the midwest following my once-in-a-lifetime goat hunt in the Central Uintas unit in Utah. Shot a goat on the 2nd day of the hunt. Despite a whole day of trying, I was unable to retrieve it. The goat was shot in the Red Castle Lake area. Does anyone know of a climber/rappeller who I could hire to go retrieve the goat? Any experienced climber should be easily able to get to it. And I can provide easy directions to the goat. Unfortunately, this "flatlander" wasn't able to retrieve the goat, and I'm just sick about it. Feel free to pm me with any ideas. Thanks.

Oh man that really is a bummer I wished I could help ya, but I'm no rock climber.

I'm sure somebody on here can help though.

"And just what were these guys doing riding horses in an aspen thicket"
WhiskyMan

You might want to post this in the general forum for more views.
Any idea on the legality of retrieving an animal without the tag holder and tag present? Do you have any pictures so we could judge the difficulty?

Is this the area you were in?

7979127.jpg

8097145.jpg

Good suggestion - I'll contact the Utah DWR. I've already contacted one of the biologists in the area, but he has not responded to my phone message.

The goat was shot was in the immediate area of Red Castle Lake. I will give exact location (easy to find) to anyone who can help me. Just don't want to post exact location on this forum. Thanks.

I just talked to a mountaineering buddy of mine who said getting to one is no problem, but getting out is usually at least a two man affair. I an guessing that unless you are willing to compensate someone well, you might have trouble finding a taker. I think it might even snow up there tonight/tomorrow.
He would love to do it, but he doesn't have a partner to go with.
Good luck. I certainly hope you can find the help you need.

For those that are interested here is a 360 look at what the area around the lake looks like.

Without giving away location: Can one get above the goat and repel down to it or must one climb up to it. How close can one get to it before it gets technical? Once reached is it in a spot that it can be lowered down or would one need to go up with it? Are we talking 30 feet or 300 feet?

2716279.jpg

1381179.jpg

3748180.jpg

8494182.jpg

3132183.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Sep-16-11 AT 02:18PM (MST)[p]It is 12 miles back to get to the lake.
Some pics with less snow.
1501img_6002.jpg

9789img_6001.jpg

2820img_5994.jpg

4824img_5989.jpg

I know the area good but I would consider myself more on the amature side for technical climbs in that rock.

Heartshot:
Great photos of the area. The last photo you posted is taken on the side of the lake that the goat was shot. The goat died at about the same elevation as the people in the picture. We (my brother and I) could climb the rock slide to almost the same elevation that the goat was; however we couldn't get across a few feet of sheer cliff to get to the shelf that the goat is on. I know nothing about climbing, but I would expect that the retrieval could be accomplished fairly easily by an experienced person. Because several days have passed, I doubt whether the meat would be good, but I would at least like to get some portion of the animal (head, horns) for a European mount. If anyone is willing to attempt the recovery, or has any suggestions, I'll contact UDWR to work out the "legalities". Thanks for all the responses so far.

For enough $$$$ you will be able to find somebody. You might laugh at this but I had a buddy shoot a sheep in Canada they could not get to it and they hired a helicopter and they easily retreived it. Cost some $$$ but it was well worth it to him.

Some incredibly beautiful but steep country. Hopefully the DWR can assist you or direct you to sources who may be able to help you recover your animal. Good luck.

Eldorado

I would be willing to go in and help someone get it, Im not experienced in technical stuff but would be willing to go help

Skull Designs: Quality European Mounts at affordable prices

Responded to your pm, greysriver.

Several possibilities for assistance have been offered, but nothing absolutely firm. Thanks to all.

Still very interested in, and would appreciate other ideas or offers.

Thanks.

Seen your goat yesterday at red castle lake. I sent you a pm with my number. Thanks Steve

Hi IAkota,

My name is Matt and I live in SLC. I am an experienced climber/mountaineer and even spent a few years as part of Salt Lake County Search and Rescue/Mountain Rescue team. I have all the ropes and equipment necessary to perform a technical retreival. I'm not sure where things stand right now with other offers or anything, but I'd definately be willing to do what I can to help retrieve your goat.

If you are still looking for help, give me a call. I could easily round up a few buddies who are just as experienced as I am and head in for your goat.

Matt.
(801)230-5406

Heck between Washach and Euro guy, you should get the goat and get it mounted!

Heck of a deal it sounds like to me.

good luck.

So far, no retrieval has been made. However, have a couple of people working on it. Response has been great so far. Hopefully by the end of this coming weekend I'll have something more to report.

Just wanted to post an update to the retreival effort on IAkota's goat up at Red Castle Lake. My buddy and I were able to hike all the way to upper Red Castle on Friday afternoon and got to the goat where it lay on a tricky ledge Saturday morning. Unfortunately it was so rank and rotten that all we were able to retreive were the horns. Never the less, the goat was a beautiful nanny with 9 inch horns and a rather large body. If I counted the rings right she appeared to be about 10 years old....Here are a few photos

The cliffs the goat was in. She was right in the center where the red line is.
8326dsc_0047.jpg

The goat as she lay.
5496dsc_0053.jpg

NASTY!!!
3357dsc_0056.jpg

8354dsc_0057.jpg

The horns
1325dsc_0060.jpg

Well done Lee on a fantastic nanny! I'm just sorry I wasn't able to retrieve more than just the horns!

I'm glad he at least got the horns out of his once in a lifetime hunt.

To bad he couldn't keep that beautiful cape.

Great news on the retrieval of the nanny's horns. Good to know that there are people out there willing to lend a helping hand.
Great job guys. You made a memorable moment still possible with your kindness.

Eldorado

Thanks to everyone who wished me well or offered advice on the retrieval of my goat. Obviously, a huge thank-you to Matt Deming, who took a whole weekend of his time to go find my goat and retrieve the horns. As those of you who have been to the Red Castle Lake area know, it's an 11 mile pack-in just to get to the lake. Then he had to climb the cliff for the retrieval. Unbelievable. I hope that I'm able to offer a return favor to Matt someday. (Maybe a whitetail trip to Iowa!)

There ya go! Good Idea! i was up there last week and getting this goat out was no easy task. A hunt for Matt and his friend is defiantly in-order!

For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security.

Thomas Jefferson

Matt, would you happen to have and are willing to post any photo's
of the second goat you were able to retrieve?

For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security.

Thomas Jefferson

Yakatak, I'm curious how you know about the second goat I retreived? Yes I have pictures and will post them also. I'll start a new thread with them.

I was with the second party.

Thomas Jefferson

Any game warden I've ever met would cite you for waste of game. I wouldn't completely agree with it under most circumstances. They would argue that you should have never shot it if you can't retrieve it. Now this is on the www for anyone to see. I'm glad you will be getting your horns but foresee a legal battle here. Like I said, I wouldn't completely agree with any bs they try to pull. Good luck and happy hunting and let us know if you get any flack which is what I would expect.

and how long did it take you to recover your bull last year zigga?

My name is Black Velvet & proud of it.

Zigga, I appreciate the concern and can certainly understand where you're coming from. However both hunters contacted the game warden prior to contracting anything with me. In fact, once the goats were retrieved, I met personally with Officer Nielsen who I spoke candidly with showing him the heads and horns and even shared the pictures I took with him. He then provided me shipping/transport permits for both goats in order to make everything legal. I have no fear of any flack from anyone due to the steps taken in working with the DWR prior to retrieving anything. It was completely legal.

Killed two goats this Fall-Alaska and Idaho, fortunate to quickly retrieve them both.

Goat hunting can be a crap shoot. Those animals will take the death dive if at all possible.
With time and patience we can put the odds in our favor as a hunters.

We need to avoid shooting at goats that are in country where they will likely be irretrievable or will rot before there is any chance of harvest. It will happen to some of us even when it seems that it couldn't.
We need to be extra patient; the resource is too precious.

2 Guys admit to wasting Goats,I wonder how many were not reported?
Seems dem White boys don't care in Utah?

My name is Black Velvet & proud of it.

>and how long did it take
>you to recover your bull
>last year zigga?
>
>
>
>
>My name is Black Velvet &
>proud of it.

The antlers or the meat?

The meat took about 6 hours and the antlers took until spring. What do the law books require? I know, do you?

I'm glad everything turned out ok. At least no one got hurt. Not worth dying for a goat.

Let the critics and experts say what they want. I had an experience similar to this guiding a hunter this fall also. We found a bunch of Billys, and spent an hour looking through them to find the best one. The goats were on a meadow over 150 yards from the ledges, we got within less than 100 yards for a "sure" shot. The hunter was shooting a 300 mag, and I figured the goat would just drop, but as hunting goes, he hit the goat in the shoulder and it looked like a good hit. For some unknown reason them goats are tough as hell, and he headed straight for the ledge. He laid down about 2 feet from the drop off. We gave him 2 hours, and had people watching him from both sides. Obviously he wasn't hit good enough and didn't want to die. We got closer, about 20 yards and he shot him again and again hitting him each time. The goat walked down a rock chute, and flipped over falling at least 600 feet flipping end over end. We found the goat with one horn, and a completely mangled body. It was a terribly sad deal, as a once in a lifetime permit was basically wasted. As we were trying to do the right thing, as there was nothing left to salvage the meat was completely mangled, most of the hide was gone. So, now I'm sure many "experts" will say that you shouldn't shoot unless they are a safe distance from the ledges and what not, which we did. Now, I am sure people will say make sure to put them down right where they stand, but if anyone has hunted at all you know it don't always work that way. Goat hunting is what it is, tough, and sometimes disappointing in the way things turn out, I am glad you was at least able to retrieve the horns, and you will always remember that hunt. take care.

>Let the critics and experts say
>what they want. I
>had an experience similar to
>this guiding a hunter this
>fall also. We found
>a bunch of Billys, and
>spent an hour looking through
>them to find the best
>one. The goats were
>on a meadow over 150
>yards from the ledges, we
>got within less than 100
>yards for a "sure" shot.
> The hunter was shooting
>a 300 mag, and I
>figured the goat would just
>drop, but as hunting goes,
>he hit the goat in
>the shoulder and it looked
>like a good hit.
>For some unknown reason them
>goats are tough as hell,
>and he headed straight for
>the ledge. He laid
>down about 2 feet from
>the drop off. We
>gave him 2 hours, and
>had people watching him from
>both sides. Obviously he
>wasn't hit good enough and
>didn't want to die.
>We got closer, about 20
>yards and he shot him
>again and again hitting him
>each time. The goat
>walked down a rock chute,
>and flipped over falling at
>least 600 feet flipping end
>over end. We found
>the goat with one horn,
>and a completely mangled body.
> It was a terribly
>sad deal, as a once
>in a lifetime permit was
>basically wasted. As we
>were trying to do the
>right thing, as there was
>nothing left to salvage the
>meat was completely mangled, most
>of the hide was gone.
> So, now I'm sure
>many "experts" will say that
>you shouldn't shoot unless they
>are a safe distance from
>the ledges and what not,
>which we did. Now,
>I am sure people will
>say make sure to put
>them down right where they
>stand, but if anyone has
>hunted at all you know
>it don't always work that
>way. Goat hunting is
>what it is, tough, and
>sometimes disappointing in the way
>things turn out, I am
>glad you was at least
>able to retrieve the horns,
>and you will always remember
>that hunt. take care.

Poor shooting - a double lung punch would have killed it in under a minute.

I dunno....I've seen double lung goats go a long way.
A goat running full-out for one minute can be a death dive to foreverland.

Bottom line though, is I don't see anyone claiming to be an expert on this thread, but I do see guys hopefully contributing some advice as to avoiding possible catastrophe and total waste.

If guys are putting in for this hunt at the least they should have a satellite phone on themselves to call a climber/retriever (informed and on call) immediately if a goat is lost in rough county. It needs to be prioritized to avoid the waste of such a nobel game animal.
I'm going to call Utah F&G and suggest this as a possible requirement for this Castle area...

Make sure and tell them to "Require" that they carry a Big Game Application Guide on them selves at all times so they have "All" the available climbers/retriever's phone numbers from the guidebook on their persons at all times!
Really?
The bottom line here is, this hunt is a Preparation or Waiting game. If your prepared, shoot them where they live and hope for the best. If you're lucky, they'll simply roll to the bottom all busted up. If you're not, be prepared to repel to your animal in some very unstable rock slides.
Or, Wait until you can catch a Goat in an area where it can be retrieved safely. They move frequently enough to present an opportunity for an easy retrieval. Don't be too picky here though. Take what you can get and be happy with it. But, be prepared for a 10-14 day hunt?

Um.....It's called diligence and responsible hunting.
One sat phone, one contacted 'retriever'. Yes, that is what I'm proposing. I dunno anything about "Big Game Application Guides" or the relevance here.
If you shoot a goat there you should be held accountable for it.
No 'high fives' for horns and rotted meat.
Moving on...both goats' meat is rotted and this thread will get that way too.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-07-11 AT 11:34AM (MST)[p]Great story thanks for posting, sorry the outcome did not turn out the way you planned. I think you did the right thing and it is nice to see so many here willing to step up and help. Hope you enjoyed the hunt regardless of some of the challenges it presented. Again thanks for posting, knowing that you are going to get some back lash from a few. I believe it helps those of us here to pause and think what would I do?

I find the meat critics a bit humorous with all their ideas to add new regulations. No doubt it was unfortunate, but this is hunting and sometimes things don't work out as planned. I am not trying be too critical of a meat hunters opinion either. I kind of get where they are coming from. But, I don't hunt for meat, I hunt for the experience, seeing new places, time spent with family and friends, and I enjoy the meat when I get it. When it comes right down to it I will pass on the meat for nice set of horns, and make no apologies.

"When it comes right down to it I will pass on the meat for nice set of horns, and make no apologies."

The law does not always see it that way. Who shoots goats for the meat? Probably no one. It's a responsibility nowadays because it's been so abused in the past. Wanton waste is something pretty much any state goes by depending on what you are hunting.

Just glad to see that no one risked their lives for a stinky goat and no one was cited. All good news and congrats to all involved especially the horn retrievals.

"When it comes right down to it I will pass on the meat for nice set of horns, and make no apologies."

Goats fall, goats splatter, goats fall into places they will never be gotten; some things happen even with the best preparation.
But no room at all for your kind of thinking around our hunting camp.
We enjoy a fine trophy, but a huge part of the experience is harvesting every shred of available meat--even if it is passed on to others in need. The resource deserves it.

You may want to forgo hunting in Alaska, wanton waste can get very expensive....

>"When it comes right down to
>it I will pass on
>the meat for nice set
>of horns, and make no
>apologies."
>
>Goats fall, goats splatter, goats fall
>into places they will never
>be gotten; some things happen
>even with the best preparation.
>
>But no room at all for
>your kind of thinking around
>our hunting camp.
>We enjoy a fine trophy, but
>a huge part of the
>experience is harvesting every shred
>of available meat--even if it
>is passed on to others
>in need. The resource
>deserves it.
>
>You may want to forgo hunting
>in Alaska, wanton waste can
>get very expensive....

What??

Last I checked passing on a critter to let him get a bit bigger is not against law. You are basically having a hard time getting my point broomd. So my bad let me try and explain better. For the record the laws are not much different in Alaska then the lower 48. In my book wasting wildlife is the same no matter where you are. It appears the law agrees that there was not wanton destruction in this situation. End of story. You are right about not fitting in with your hunting camp...good luck on your spike hunt. Not that there is anything wrong with that...them spikes can be tasty. Lighten up dude or try a little hard to understand what someone is stating in their post. happy hunting.

Zigga, Dobber's comments about putting horns over meat with "no apologies" are pathetic.

My humble opinion; and no doubt shared by many of my hunting buds too.

Moving on, we're off topic here.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom