Central Eastern Montana

J

Jazz

I recently hunted on a private ranch in central Eastern Montana. The hunt was very poor with many 3 point genetics. I was also told that it was a "down year" for growth but I have talked to others in this area and they don't seem to agree with that assessment. Anyone have any other thoughts?

That right there was your first mistake.....

I hunted that area of MT and I can't say that was our experiance.

Most of MT got hit hard with a blizzard in the late late spring. I know that killed a few bucks. One rancher I talked to even lost 200 calves because they drifted over in a coulee.

"...and now it's time for me to go, the autumn moon lights my way..." -Led Zeppelin

Sounds about right to me. I believe the ranch has very poor genetics, poor quality management and was certainly over "advertised" via this booking agent. The guide was weak at best as well.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-26-09 AT 06:38PM (MST)[p] I went with an outfitter in south east montana this year and saw alot of bucks. I got a 25 inch wide 4 x 4. And seen at least 8 or 10 other shooter bucks. And seen proble 50 or more 3 and small four points on this hunt. So it may just have been who you went with. I know I will be back as soon as I can. It sounds like your trip wasn't the same. Who did you go with? PM me if you don't want to put it up on here. I just don't want to go with them after what you said.

>Most of MT got hit hard
>with a blizzard in the
>late late spring. I
>know that killed a few
>bucks. One rancher I
>talked to even lost 200
>calves because they drifted over
>in a coulee.
>
>"...and now it's time for me
>to go, the autumn moon
>lights my way..." -Led Zeppelin
>

Holy buckets.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-29-09 AT 05:04PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Dec-29-09 AT 05:02?PM (MST)

There is no need for booking agents, they rarly know anything of what they sell.You should ask the agent for his %20 cut back and next time do your own research.

In general I agree and I have already asked as you suggested. I also had a lot of difficulty with the "guide" as he was inexperienced but "knew" everything. I do a lot of research but this one "got me" so a lesson learned for sure.

>In general I agree and I
>have already asked as you
>suggested. I also had
>a lot of difficulty with
>the "guide" as he was
>inexperienced but "knew" everything.
>I do a lot of
>research but this one "got
>me" so a lesson learned
>for sure.

Bummer Jazz. Lesson learned, will hopefully work better for you next time.

What? A guide in Montana who thinks his stuff doesn't stink, if full of crap and a know it all? NOW WAY!! You just described most guides I've met around here, though I haven't met very many.

Definitely complain to your booking idiot! Tell him you need some $ back.

mtal,

I have done as you suggested with NO response, other than Lip Service. You are right a lesson learned so don't use the agent I mentioned here.

Jazz

Just watched Steve's show with Travis Tritt. Kind of painful to watch.

How did he get his own hunting show?

I'm not sure but when you watch the show you see very little quality! The hunt I was on was terrible and it seems like it's time to spread the word a little.

Jazz

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom