Catching Pigeons

Tikka

Long Time Member
Anyone out there catch pigeons? I’m going broke buying pigeons for dog training.,.
I found traps made in Wisconsin called Bird B Gone, they appear to work well… Just looking for other ideas…

What type of dog are you training? Odds are there are efficiencies to be found in your training bird usage. Up here in AK we are paying +$26/chukar for training birds and pigeons (when you can find them for sale) are $15-20/ea usually. It leads to a lot of creativity in dog training to save on bird costs.

Anyone out there catch pigeons? I’m going broke buying pigeons for dog training.,.
I found traps made in Wisconsin called Bird B Gone, they appear to work well… Just looking for other ideas…
You probably already know this but it is legal to catch Eurasians for your own use.
I throw corn or old wheat until I have some willing birds coming in then catch them in a large live trap.
Then I keep them in a covered dog kennel until I have enough for a good training session.
Don’t try to sell them though….trust me.
Or at least don’t publicly advertise them for sale, THEY will find you.
Luckily for me, no fines issued.

it used to be easy here to fill a coup with freeway pigeons by setting traps under overpasses.....now the bums living there eat them out of the traps....

it used to be easy here to fill a coup with freeway pigeons by setting traps under overpasses.....now the bums living there eat them out of the traps....
Damn squab eaters, who do they think they are rich and famous?

You probably already know this but it is legal to catch Eurasians for your own use.
I throw corn or old wheat until I have some willing birds coming in then catch them in a large live trap.
Then I keep them in a covered dog kennel until I have enough for a good training session.
Damn, searching for Eurasian dealers… They don’t put that much effort into poachers…

I spent about 8 years working in the warehouse at the sawmill tallying lumber and putting lumber orders together. The warehouse was infested with pigeons. They nested and roosted high in the rafters and made a big mess all over the lumber. I went to the owner and volunteered to shoot them with a pellet gun in my spare time. He said okay but just keep it down low. I hid my gun in the warehouse and every chance I got I'd go on the hunt. One day I shot one just as the owner came around the corner with 4 or 5 dignitaries from out of the Country. I think they were Russian because we milled Russian logs at that time. The pigeon landed right at their feet and was flopping around. I ducked out of sight of course. We had a good laugh about it later.

There was a solid white one that was pretty wily and would take off when it saw me. I named him the Great White. I came in early one day while it was still dark and spot lighted him while he roosted.

I spent about 8 years working in the warehouse at the sawmill tallying lumber and putting lumber orders together. The warehouse was infested with pigeons. They nested and roosted high in the rafters and made a big mess all over the lumber. I went to the owner and volunteered to shoot them with a pellet gun in my spare time. He said okay but just keep it down low. I hid my gun in the warehouse and every chance I got I'd go on the hunt. One day I shot one just as the owner came around the corner with 4 or 5 dignitaries from out of the Country. I think they were Russian because we milled Russian logs at that time. The pigeon landed right at their feet and was flopping around. I ducked out of sight of course. We had a good laugh about it later.

There was a solid white one that was pretty wily and would take off when it saw me. I named him the Great White. I came in early one day while it was still dark and spot lighted him while he roosted.
eel, I really enjoy your life experiences…
Damn Russians probably had squab for dinner that night…

Like I said……… aways squeezing every drop of hunting and fishing of the out of where you live eel.

Keeping it on the “low down” would have added an extra bit of satisfaction to the hunt…….. Probably shouldn’t go any deeper into that conversation though.

One more thing…… if Founder should ever separate your login from the Forum, might I suggest….. we’ll know who “downlow” is. Just saying.

It's not about pigeons but the Russian log deal only lasted for two ship loads. Our mill is right on the Humboldt Bay. The logs had to be debarked and fumigated before delivery. And then Russia didn't want dollars, so they traded logs for heavy equipment. It just never really caught on. I have a 12' 2X6 stashed in the garage. They call it Siberian Larch. Edit: Trump would like to have it but it's not for sale.

catch a live trap on top of local gas stations canopies works good out here.
My buddy has 30 birds right now. Buying birds just sucks. LOL

Years ago we’d go hang out at night under viaduct with a long pole with a big net. We caught quite a few of them.

pot meet kettle.

And you want to ban the sheds lmfao get a life!

If I knew people would need live pigeons I would have kept my old salmon dipnetting poles when moving back to Idaho from Alaska. Have a lava tube opening (not many know about 2 track is now is hard to find) about 6 miles from the house where I shoot pigeons in the summer opening maybe 3ft diameter and tube is filled with pigeons and other birds scare them out with firecrackers. Rented a 20ft ladder about 20yrs ago and went down there pretty cool old cattle skeletons and other dead animals down there goes back about 100ft with 15ft ceilings pigeon nests everywhere.

If I knew people would need live pigeons I would have kept my old salmon dipnetting poles when moving back to Idaho from Alaska. Have a lava tube opening (not many know about 2 track is now is hard to find) about 6 miles from the house where I shoot pigeons in the summer opening maybe 3ft diameter and tube is filled with pigeons and other birds scare them out with firecrackers. Rented a 20ft ladder about 20yrs ago and went down there pretty cool old cattle skeletons and other dead animals down there goes back about 100ft with 15ft ceilings pigeon nests everywhere.
Lucky spot to have!

A bit off topic but:

I went to South Dakota on a pheasant hunt a few years ago and the pigeons were lousy around the barn at the farm we were staying.
People thought we were nuts to "waste" good ammo on pigeons but we were more than welcome to shoot them.
We'd go get a limit of roosters in the morning and shoot pigeons all afternoon. Its was fabulous amounts fun!

Zeke

Where has everybody's reading comprehension skills disappeared to??!!
Not once did I say ban shed hunting, or killing Eurasians.
Is everyone else also struggling or just HK and SS now?
Stop playing the victim you woke turd. Just stop!

A bit off topic but:

I went to South Dakota on a pheasant hunt a few years ago and the pigeons were lousy around the barn at the farm we were staying.
People thought we were nuts to "waste" good ammo on pigeons but we were more than welcome to shoot them.
We'd go get a limit of roosters in the morning and shoot pigeons all afternoon. Its was fabulous amounts fun!

Zeke
Zeke, that sounds like a fantastic time… I believe pigeons are a difficult target at times… They seem to find all the holes in my shotgun pattern… ?

I'm going to get in trouble for this but you deserve it

YOU'RE AN IDIOT!
Who says you are going to get in ‘trouble’ for calling me an idiot?
You can call me whatever you want, doesn’t bother me.
I was just hoping to keep sharing ideas on how to take pressure off our Deer herds but I think this thread has run it’s course.
Thank you to those who shared ideas and opinions.
It was good while it lasted.
Everyone have a good week.

Who says you are going to get in ‘trouble’ for calling me an idiot?
You can call me whatever you want, doesn’t bother me.
I was just hoping to keep sharing ideas on how to take pressure off our Deer herds but I think this thread has run it’s course.
Thank you to those who shared ideas and opinions.
It was good while it lasted.
Everyone have a good week.
Founder don't like me calling people idiots!

This thread was about pigeons not you trying to fix deer heads with you dumb ideas that would never work!

Back to the OP.

I got to shoot for a field trialer as a kid for a few years. Lots of pigeons, a few pheasants.

Do you use releases or just dizzy them up?

Think something like a magpie trap would work in areas where there are birds?

Back to the OP.

I got to shoot for a field trialer as a kid for a few years. Lots of pigeons, a few pheasants.

If cover was super heavy I would dizzy.
More sparse cover I would use spring trap.

Wait.. You’re paying for pigeons tikka? I got some I’ll sell ya. And I’ll sell them to you as many times as you like… Just put a small shed up on the end of your pheasant coop and get a half dozen from a breeder or the gas station. They’re reusable. Use frozen chukar or pheasant for retrieval training.,

Most of the farmers who has old barns has pigeons and they $hit on everything the like us to thin them out.
Every morning before the opening time we shoot pigeons.
Best morning was 28 birds so yes it a blast.

Back to the OP.

Hoss, I have two different dogs I’m working with… one is a retriever so we release and shoot for him.., the other is a Drahtaar and I do the head tuck for him….

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom