Castle Mountains

N

Nails

Just wondering if there are any guys here that are from the Shamut area. Back in high school during the early 80's I went on a few elk/mule deer hunts with my dad and some of his buddies. We hunted the Castle Mountains and Mussellshell River bottoms. Dad got to meet a rancher from Shamut through a mutual acquaintance here in WI. We hunted with Paul and Raymond Fochs both of whom are gone now, but I think of them often. They were the type of friend one hopes he will always have. There was nothing they wouldn't do for us when we came out hunting or a summer vacation. I haven't been to the area in many years, but dad hasn't missed a year since the early 70's when he meet Paul, Raymond and family. He will be celebrating his 82nd birthday this Oct. hunting deer and antelope in the Shamut area. I am hoping to join him as a tag along, never know when it will be his last trip.

Anyways, I am thinking of archery hunting elk in the next couple of years back in the Castles(lots of memories up there from the few years I hunted as a kid) How is the access to the National Forest land and is the area big enough to get away from the crowds.

Thanks.
Nails.

The area has some places to get away from the crowds but it takes a little expierence to learn where the crowds are so you can plan accordingly I like little belt mountains not far from there and I like to go in the middle of the week to get into better areas. I'm from Cornell wisconsin and have hunted the area since 1975.
Mike

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom