Casper Area Hunting and Fishing

Bruinbrewin

My freind and I lucked out with a Unit 32 N/R Antelope tags and and will be driving to Wyoming the end of September. I hunted the Unit a couple of years ago and ran into a lot of Sage Hens, Prairie Dogs and some of the biggest Coyotes I have ever seen. Does anyone have any advise on Small Game and Fishing in the same area while we are in town for the Antelope hunts? Do we need a small game license to stack up a few prairie dogs or coyotes or are we covered with the Antelope tags? How about input on the Sage Hens, are they tasty or just pests?
Next item would be fishing, you can't hunt every minute of every day, there has to be days off for other activities. Where are some good spots to catch a few fish and what kind of tackle is needed. I know the Platte river and Alcova Res. are there, what can a person expect to catch there and are there other area's to visit as well? Thanks for any input and hope you were as lucky in the draws.
BB

Bb,

Coyotes are varmints here and can be shot without a license, but we are currently in a low cycle for yotes (which is a good thing), on the other hand, rabbits are at an all time high, LOL.

Sage Hens, yuk! nuff said.

For fishing, popular spots are Grey Reef below Alcova and The Miracle Mile above Pathfinder, fly gear only. Nymphs and bead heads, San Juan worms work well too,check in with Bullwinkles or Timberline Sporting goods for current info when you get to Casper. September is low water month here, the water will be warm and weedy so if you do hook up, land the fish quickly or it will surely die.

Mike
at235.gif

Thanks for the help dakota, I usually spin cast but have a fly rod I use on the Colorado River at times. I'll take both along for the practice. Is there any places to set up camp that are shaded and south of Casper? I decided to pull a pop up camper up there and sleep in comfort instead of a ground tent. Really looking forward to the visit, but I really hope i can find a nice buck for my Boss, whose is going along. I hunted 32 a few years ago and I think I can find him a nice buck during the week we will be there.
THX
BB

Bb,

South of Casper all you will find is Casper Mountain. But there are spots both west and east of Casper to camp. West you can camp at a number of spots at Alcova lake, east you can camp on the river at Edness Wilkins State park or you can choose a number of "in town" parks that will have hook ups for electricity and such, showers on site and food nearby......... Let me know if I can help you out any other way.....

Mike
at235.gif

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom