"Cars in barns" sorta with a gun twist.

feddoc

Long Time Member
Cars in barns is a pretty neat website. http://www.carsinbarns.com/

It's about mostly collecible cars that are found wasting away in barns, out in fields, etc.

I was wondering if any you have similar stories about a neat gun find. Or a car find.

Several years ago, my brother in law was looking for an AKC dog to mate with his dog for a little puppy action. The lady he met and he didn't come to an agreement, but, as he was leaving, she mentioned that her husband had died sometime near the 88 or 89 bay area earthquake and that she was trying to sell his stuff.

Turns out he was a gun collector; there were five gun safes full of guns...plus ammo and reloading supplies.

BIL calls me and the next weekend we did an analysis (via the current shooters bible and a few ads here and there) of her stuff, showed her where we thought each gun would sell, based on age, condition, mods, etc. It took the better part of two days just to determine a price and to show her what she could expect for offers at a gun show. Turns out she didn't want to mess with any of that and just wanted to get rid of them. She told us to pick out what we wanted and buy it at half price. We tried to convince here that she could eventually get close to her asking price...but, she was adamant about getting rid of her stuff. Didn't want to deal with strangers in her home or having to pack up the junk and head to the Cow Palace.

I Picked up some neat stuff in the process...an Inland M1 Carbine for $175, an M1 Garand for $400, a couple of 10/22s, a NIB S&W 57, all totaled 71 guns.

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

LAST EDITED ON May-11-10 AT 12:38PM (MST)[p]My granddad left a model 70 pr-64 .06 (1952 yr) in the barn covered in chicken shiz for a year or so. My dad went to the ranch and saw that and threw it in the pick-up and was hot! This was in the early 80s. My first deer rifle was a pre-64 winnie .06. What a coincidence? My dad and his dad were never on good terms, so needless to say it was not returned:)

I have an "adoptive" grandma that has her husbands, fathers pre-64 model 70 that is a 5 digit serial number gun. We even know the story behind where he bought it and took it to Alaska and trapped for years with it until it was handed down. It is still a beauty. I dont know what an early 5 digit pre-64 is worth. But to us it priceless from history. It will not be leaving the family!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom