Carrying ammo in the field

R

Rickshaw

hey guys, I was wondering how you all handle carrying your extra rounds when you are in the field. I've had enough rounds get damaged from clanging together or the elements (I usually just keep them in my pockets) that I'm looking for some ideas. What do you do?

LAST EDITED ON Jul-06-12 AT 02:45PM (MST)[p]I have a wrap around nylon bullet holder attached to my stock. I also put my license and necessary paper work in it, so when I grab my gun I have everything I need to be legal. Pocket carrying reminds me of the last time I took my dad hunting deer. He carried his bullets in his pocket. As we walked along, trying to spot deer, and me trying to be quiet, he had his hand in his pocket, rolling the bullets together. He couldn't hear them, but I'm sure every critter on the ridge could. Before someone makes a smart azz remark, yes he was only playing with the bullets. I think! Hadn't thought about it until now. I also have one or two bullets separately placed in my pack, just for emergency back up.

Extra ammo? I only shoot once, LOL! Seriously though, I carry an extra ten in a plastic sleeve like factory loads come in and it's either in an outer pocket of my fanny pack or backpack, whichever I happen to be using that day.

>RICKSHAW, YOU ASK QUESTIONS LIKE THAT
>YOU ARE GOING TO GET
>YOUR ARSE HANDED TO YOU....RAS.
>

hahaha good one!

I keep mine in my arrow quiver. But i guess if i have rifle hunt, then they make the nylon sleeves that go around the butt of the rifle stock they work well. also you could get a puch that hooks on your belt or whatever.

I like the old rectangular leather ammo pouch that holds a box of shells, styrofoam insert included. Then i cut out a bit on one side, the flap too,just big enough for my varmint call to slide down in and out of there snugly. Holds about 14-16 extras, my license and tags, a few bucks for emergency, and my call...perfect!

This has been for the mid size range of cartridges. Don't even know if they make these in the mongo magnum sizes.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

LAST EDITED ON Jul-06-12 AT 05:12PM (MST)[p]I just carry one bullet in the chamber. Unless i am going to fill my grandmas tag too, then I put another one in my pocket.

I'd contact stinkbug!

He packs them by the cases!

He's got a pack big enough to pack 1/2 a Truck Load!:D

PUNK often wondered if it was gonna be enough at times,lol!:D

[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]
If You Love Your Country,SHOW THEM TO ME!

I've got Wild Honey Tree's and Crazy Little Weeds growin around my Shack!
These Dusty Roads ain't streets of gold but I'm happy right where I'm at!
All these Perty little Western Belles are a Country Boys Dream!
They ain't got Wings or MM Halo's but they sure look good to me!

I carry only 6, besides my rifle being fully loaded. Carrying them between the fingers sticking straight out kinda like a mace. If you miss with the 4 in your rifle you chase em down and beat em with the others...

LAST EDITED ON Jul-06-12 AT 07:36PM (MST)[p]Rickshaw....Are you Zim's girlfriend? Tell Zim to carry his own damn shells.

I put enough in each pocket to keep them from rattling, how many depends on what pants i'm wearing...

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I carry three shells in each pocket of my pants and jacket. In the heat of the moment I can never reach in the wrong pocket.

Don

LAST EDITED ON Jul-07-12 AT 08:17AM (MST)[p]In New Zealand:

1028tonymtahr1.jpg

In Africa:

9854bushbuckopt.jpg

I've been using the stock sleeve for more than 25 years. Started after a bear hunt in BC when this excerpt from the lead of a spring bear hunting article I wrote happened.

Outdoor Life's Guide to Spring Bear Hunting​

"Take off your shoes."

As I glanced up at the huge mantle of menacing black clouds that was dropping lower onto the British Columbia mountains, a light mist settled on my face. The prospect of running around in my stocking feet during a soon-to-be-released, springtime gully-washer failed to excite me. Wondering if maybe his brain was caught in a zipper, I turned to my companion.

Roy Pattison was already bent over, removing his second shoe, but he undoubtedly sensed my apprehension. He looked up, then smiled when he saw the puzzled expression on my wet face.

"Standard operating procedure," he whispered. "The less noise we make, the better. In fact, on the way up here I heard your extra ammo rattling in your pocket. Separate them."

Realizing I should have known better, I sheepishly divided the five shells into different pockets and sat on rock to undo my boot laces. It was then that the strange irony taking place occurred to me.

In preparation for western Canada's supposedly frequent spring rains, I had bought boots with a waterproof Gore-Tex* lining. Now, as the raindrops grew larger and puddles began to form on the little used, dirt and gravel two-track, I was removing the boots.

I hitched up my socks and stood, feeling slightly ridiculous but ready to continue the stalk, nonetheless. "Let's go. I'm ready."

The guide began walking and I followed, wincing as the sharp-edged gravel indented the soles of my feet. As my socks wicked up more moisture, each step caused an uncomfortable, squishy feeling.

Continued.........

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

LAST EDITED ON Jul-07-12 AT 10:50AM (MST)[p]>LAST EDITED ON Jul-07-12
>AT 08:17?AM (MST)

>
>In New Zealand:
>
>
1028tonymtahr1.jpg

>
>In Africa:
>
>
9854bushbuckopt.jpg

>
>I've been using the stock sleeve
>for more than 25 years.
>Started after a bear hunt
>in BC when this excerpt
>from the lead of a
>spring bear hunting article I
>wrote happened.
>
>
Outdoor Life's Guide to Spring Bear
>Hunting​
>
>"Take off your shoes."
>
>
>As I glanced up at
>the huge mantle of menacing
>black clouds that was dropping
>lower onto the British Columbia
>mountains, a light mist settled
>on my face. The
>prospect of running around in
>my stocking feet during a
>soon-to-be-released, springtime gully-washer failed to
>excite me. Wondering if
>maybe his brain was caught
>in a zipper, I turned
>to my companion.
>
> Roy
>Pattison was already bent over,
>removing his second shoe, but
>he undoubtedly sensed my apprehension.
> He looked up, then
>smiled when he saw the
>puzzled expression on my wet
>face.
>
> "Standard
>operating procedure," he whispered.
>"The less noise we make,
>the better. In fact,
>on the way up here
>I heard your extra ammo
>rattling in your pocket.
>Separate them."
>
>Realizing I should have known better,
>I sheepishly divided the five
>shells into different pockets and
>sat on rock to undo
>my boot laces. It
>was then that the strange
>irony taking place occurred to
>me.

>
> In
>preparation for western Canada's supposedly
>frequent spring rains, I had
>bought boots with a waterproof
>Gore-Tex* lining. Now, as
>the raindrops grew larger and
>puddles began to form on
>the little used, dirt and
>gravel two-track, I was removing
>the boots.
>
> I
>hitched up my socks and
>stood, feeling slightly ridiculous but
>ready to continue the stalk,
>nonetheless. "Let's go.
>I'm ready."
>
> The
>guide began walking and I
>followed, wincing as the sharp-edged
>gravel indented the soles of
>my feet. As my
>socks wicked up more moisture,
>each step caused an uncomfortable,
>squishy feeling.
>
>Continued.........
>
>
>TONY MANDILE
>
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

>How To Hunt Coues Deer

That'll teach you to bring flip flops next time.

>>That'll teach you to bring flip flops next time.

Actually, because I thought the stalking in stocking feet was a worthy tactic, I sort of adapted to it by carrying soft-soled leather mocassins in my fanny pack while hunting. They were much better than socks at keeping cactus needles from fallen cholla buds at bay here in AZ.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

I load my 30-06 (she takes 7+1) and then whats left stays in the original box and goes in my pack. My aunt growing up was a "shashink-shashink-shashink" hunter, often emptying 2-3 boxes of shells in her fanny pack. She has never shot a deer nor do I recall her ever seeing a buck, but without fail, every year, shashink-shashink-shashink......sha-freakin-shink!

I keep one in the chamber and the rest in the glove box. I can steer with one hand while quickly reaching over with the other, turn the latch, dig under the owners manual and find a few loose ones clanking around in time before the buck gets to far from the road.

I converted my rifle to feed from a belt. I string two belts across my chest and shoulders then carry a couple of cans in the truck just in case.

Rounds I use come in plastic carrying cases of 5, which you can also put on your belt. I put 4 in the magazine, a pack of five in my pocket (coat or vest), and a pack of 5 in my backpack. This way, if I get separated from my pack on a stalk I still have 5 extras in my pocket.

It appears you have to open those and it doesn't appear to hold the rounds too tight. The kind I am talking about come in the box when you buy cartriges (I use federal fusion). Instead of some brands of ammo, which hold ten in a row tightly through the holes in the plastic, these break up the 20 rounds into 4 packs of 5. They hold the rounds tightly so they don't rattle. The butt sleeve is a very good idea as well.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-09-12 AT 09:50AM (MST)[p]Rickshaw.....look inside a box of ammo that you already have and see what is holding them together.....the ones I have used are from older boxes of shells and are solid plastic holders for 20 cartridges....most likely they are yellow color.

Take that out and slide it down inside a good leather pouch that holds bullits. There are so many ways to do it till you find the one that suits you best and is QUIET.

I have gone back to the old leather shell holder that has a snap to close it up....they hold 8-9 shells easy.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Leather is fine, though if your hunting in with much humidity, make sure you get the cartridges out and they and the leather dry periodically or they'll be a pretty shade of green by the end of the season.

>LAST EDITED ON Jul-09-12
>AT 09:50?AM (MST)

>
>Rickshaw.....look inside a box of ammo
>that you already have and
>see what is holding them
>together.....the ones I have used
>are from older boxes of
>shells and are solid plastic
>holders for 20 cartridges....most likely
>they are yellow color.
>
>Take that out and slide it
>down inside a good leather
>pouch that holds bullits.
>There are so many ways
>to do it till you
>find the one that suits
>you best and is QUIET.
>
>
>I have gone back to the
>old leather shell holder that
>has a snap to close
>it up....they hold 8-9 shells
>easy.
>
>Brian
>http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Crafty - I like it! Thanks guys, I'll try some of these ideas!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-09-12 AT 12:04PM (MST)[p]mmwb.....I always hunt in the fall/winter and the bullets don't go inside the leather till I am ready to hunt and come out when I pack up everything to drive back home.

I found out a long time ago when I left them over the winter-spring-summer and got to my destination and they were "green". Bought two more for medium cases and large cases.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

I put about 6 in a nylon shell holder that goes around my arm. I do this so that I can have one hand on my gun and the other on the throttle of my atv.

Just kidding, that would be very unethical. I usually keep just a few in a couple of different pockets while I hike. This keeps the noise down and allows quick access if needed.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom