Caribou

J

jimshorts

I just started doing my searching for a great Caribou hunt.Looking at 2013 bhunt right now. There are so many outfitters, that I thought it would be best to get advice from those who have had the experince. I am looking for a hunt that we can take 3-4 people, with good success odds. Anyone had a great caribou hunt that would be willing to give their recommendation? Looking for a good hunt for the money???

http://www.livinthedream-rusty.blogspot.com/

Need more info.
Where do you want to go? Try your odds in Canada and hope the outfitter doesn't rip you off, or Alaska?
A lot of guys go to Canada because it's cheaper but with so many guys loosing everything, more are looking to Alaska. You'll pay more in Alaska but up north, the Western Arctic herd is huge and growing.

Guided or a drop off hunt?

Colorado Lion Hunt:

Mineshaft Lion Hunt:
http://trophyroom.com/video/lls8ViwJcT

I would prefer Alaska. I am also game for drop off hunt if they have proven success... but am willing to look at both drop off and guided. Curious about experiences that some of you have had with both and what you prefer based on your experiences. I am pretty open to look at either option.

thanks

http://www.livinthedream-rusty.blogspot.com/

I'm looking into the same thing, I don't have a good handle on it yet.

One thing I hear often is this, if you're an outfitter with guides in the field and drop camps where are you going to place your guides? the drop camp boys suck hind tit you can bet on that. not that you can't have a good drop camp, but odds are the guides have the best spot.

For what it would cost me to take all my gear and what I just said I'm leaning towards guided.

Stay thirsty my friends

I am going out of Kotzebue in Sept. of this year. Three of us doing a 9 day drop hunt. 20 years ago since I have been there. I can let you know how we do when we get back. I am paying the pilot by the hour so can have some control over the drop. There are some bad luck stories out there lately so be careful.

I am booked with Munroe Lake Lodge in northern Manitoba for next year. Seems like a very reputable place.
I can't freaking wait!

Lien2

Look at Deltana Outfitters. I did a drop hunt with them a handful of years ago and it was awesome. Lots of caribou, and at a reasonable price!

Two of us are flying to the North Slope out of Bettles on 8/27 for an eight day drop camp bowhunt for caribou.

Never been to Alaska. This hunt is the culmination of two years worth of research and planning. Very comfortable with the choices, but the results are yet to be seen.

No problem sharing what I learn after the fact. MM has been a good resource for me on mule deer and elk. Hopefully this hunt will provide an avenue to give something back.

hey i dunno if it against the rules but what are you guys doing drop hunts figuring cost wise for your whole trip?

Lien,
Thats one on my list as well. Seems like a good place with some great fishing to boot for after the hunt. Someday I'll get there.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

Jimshorts I do have pics, but the computer tower they were in is fried. I have some printed, I can try and make work. Shoot me a p.m. and we will chat for a bit!

jimshorts, I'm leaving in a couple of weeks to hunt barren ground caribou in Kotzebue Alaska.
I'm using Ram Aviation (http://www.huntandfishalaska.net/) booked through Mark Warnke with Outdoors International(www.gothunts.com). Both company's have been great to work with so far, giving lots of advice on what to bring and what to expect.
We are doing a drop camp and they are supplying the food and camping gear as well as transportation from Kotzebue to the field. we have a group of 4 going for $2600 each.
Provided that we are able to get some action while we are there, I feel like we have gotten a good deal compared to what we found in other places. I will post results once we get back.

I am also looking at using Outdoors international and Rams this fall. I am very interested on how things went?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom