Career crossroads, any advice?

AndymanSavage

Very Active Member
The company I work for is based out of Seattle and has a small branch that I manage here in the SLC area. Over the last year the seattle area has lost sereval large accounts and it is hurting the whole company. They are contemplating closing down Utah and using all resources up there. I won't move up there, and wouldn't be able to afford a home there for my little family like we have here. I am finishing school and will have my bachelors in business by the end of the year. I am 27, and have been working here for 6 years. I had planned on looking for a new career when I had my degree, but it looks like I need to jump ship ASAP.

I am wondering what would be the best thing to do. Should I look for a paid internship somewhere that would promise a better job and salary when I graduate? Should I just find something for this year and look again when I graduate? Should I stay put and hope that they have use for me until I graduate?

I don't care what the industry is. I have done a lot of different things for this company; sales, account managing, accounts payable, advertising, collections, management/training, and very technical laser printer repair/training. I just need to make around 50k to start with no degree yet. Am I screwed? I figured that a lot of you here might have ideas or suggestions. I don't need a company name or anything, I was just hoping for some general pointers or industry trends. PM me if you want. I am going to contact some of my networking connections for tips as well, but thought I'd throw it out here.

Thanks for any ideas,

Andy

-----------------------------------------------
http://www.trophyblogger.com/Andymansavage

Andy, a couple things come to mind right away. First, you shouldn't leave your company voluntarily until you have a new job in place. Second, you'll have more neogtiating leverage for your employment terms in the new job if you are still employed. Rather than just taking a job because you need the money, you're at a point where you should seriously pursue employment in a field that you want to make your career. With a degree soon in hand, you should be heading toward the occupation and career that you want for the long term.

That is Sage advice CAelknuts.

Andy, it appears that you have worn many hats in a relatively short amount of time. You should really consider starting your own business and taking charge of your own future.

All the same rules apply with one main exception...you are in control at all times. A/P, A/R, personnel training, etc. etc. are the building blocks of any good business. The 2 things to remember are: be competitively priced and provide a better level of service than your competition. It's that simple

It's worked for me for 25 years and I have never regretted a single day. Good luck

I've done alot of interviewing of canditates for jobs and I'll tell you hands down I'll take experience over a degree any day of the week. It of course depends on what industry you are in though.

A few years ago I interviewed a kid coming out of college with a BS in the field I work in, he had not 1 single skill that made him worth hiring. I wished him good luck and sent him on his way and thought about how screwed people are paying all that money to goto college to get a meaningless piece of paper.

We hired another kid a couple weeks later with zero college, just a year of experience.

-DallanC

First off, this is a very interesting post. For what its worth, here is my advice:

Stay where you are at and start looking for a job that will maximize your strengths and experience. Once you find a good job, you will have much better leverage on negotiating a salary (as a previous post mentioned).

Starting your own business is also a great idea. I did this about a year ago and don't regret it one bit. I will mention I still have my day job and am building my business until its stable enough to where I can quit. However, I have great employees that allow my to continue with my other job and
I may follow this process for the next few years.

Stick with what you do best and the $$$ will come...

A disrict manager for a fast food chain makes 100k a year..just a thought!
credit mgr at a computer co make 75k..
a/p a/r make 50k ..
finish school...
rm

No matter what, I would not leave my existing job until they gave me the "transfer or quit" option.

You will look a lot more successful to a new employer if your only reason for leaving your last job was because relocating was not an option for you.

Obviously, if something lucrative shows up, you may want to look into it, but don't be in to big a hurry.

Your a smart, resourceful feller Andyman you'll have no problem getting good work, especially in Utah, were unemployment figures are super low. A college degree jus lets employers know you achieve your goals.

Thanks guys, I am getting the same advise from others as well. Looks like the best thing to do is stay put for now but keep looking into other opportunities. I agree that having a new job locked up before leaving is the smartest thing to to. I just need to find out what industry is the best for me. I may just stay in the laser printer business, who knows. My dream job is the one that affords me the time and resources to do the things I love with my family. I get plenty of satisfaction from my wife and kids, the job just needs to cover the financial end of things.

Thank you again for all the sound advice.

Andy

-----------------------------------------------
http://www.trophyblogger.com/Andymansavage

"I've done alot of interviewing of canditates for jobs and I'll tell you hands down I'll take experience over a degree any day of the week. It of course depends on what industry you are in though.
A few years ago I interviewed a kid coming out of college with a BS in the field I work in, he had not 1 single skill that made him worth hiring. I wished him good luck and sent him on his way and thought about how screwed people are paying all that money to goto college to get a meaningless piece of paper.

We hired another kid a couple weeks later with zero college, just a year of experience."

Dallen C, You just summed up what i have always thought about Careers in relation to education but let me ad that a college degree for many teaches them to be nothing more than a wage earner..........Experience is everthing.

Mike

Andy, you have heard some pretty good advice so far. I wouldn't go anywhere until you have to. I had worked for Motorola and GE for years until they finally shut the doors this last year. I walked away with a 14 month severance and $10K for retraining. I had been talking about doing something different for a couple years and I couldn't have been happier when it finally happened. I went and took some classes and got my home inspection license and I just started my own company. And everything has been paid for by GE. It hasn't been easy but it is going to be worth it. So just hang in there and usually everything works out.

HERES WHAT YOU DO Andy & I AIN'T BULL$HITTING YOU ONE FRICKEN BIT!!!

LEARN HOW TO DO TUNE-UPS ON THESE PUTERS!!!

OFFER HOUSE CALLS!!!

I'D PAY THE BILL IN CASH THE SECOND YOU FIX THIS POS & EVEN SHOW YOU WHERE YOU COULD CATCH A FISH OR TWO!!!

HELL YOU COULD CARRY YOUR FISHIN POLE IN THE TRUNK & ENJOY LIFE & MAKE MONEY AT THE SAME TIME!!!

I'M SICKEN FRICKEN TIRED OF PUTER FIX-IT WANNA-BE'S!!!

THINK ABOUT IT Andy!!!

WE NEED SOMEBODY THAT KNOWS WTF THEY'RE DOING!!!

I THINK YOU COULD FILL THIS VOID & MAKE A KILLIN AT THE SAME TIME!!!

IF I WASN'T SO OLD & CRIPPLED & DOWN TO MY LAST LIFE OF 9 I MIGHT EVEN CONSIDER IT MYSELF!!!

BUT LIKE THEY SAY!!!

YOU CAN'T TEACH AN OLD BATTERED cat NEW TRICKS!!!

I'M STILL HAVING TROUBLE FIGURING THIS CAPS-LOCK THING OUT!!!

GOOD LUCK AT WHATEVER YOU DECIDE BUT THINK ABOUT WHAT I SUGGESTED!!!

THIS IS MY NEW GUN,YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,YOU'LL LIKE IT A HELL OF A LOT LESS WHEN IT HITS ITS DESTINATION!!!
47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom