Carbon Fiber???

D

dmarksman

So I was out at the Western Hunting Expo for the first time this year and had an awesome time! I walked around and looked at all the booths, great job everyone. I have some questions about custom rifles and I hope someone can help me out. So was christensen arms the first one to come out with a carbon barrel back in the day? Also, as i walked around the show i saw two or three comapanies that looks like they have jumped on the band wagon of doing carbon fiber barrels?? i think one was Best of the West and the other Wastach Technologies. I talked to them all and it seemed like the Christensen Arm guys knew what they were talking about and were nice guys. I think im gonna pull the trigger and get one from christensens, what do you guys think??

I think gun barrels are supposed to be made of steel...and only steel..

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

I agree with JB. Seems like a lot of money to spend on a fad. An ugly fad at that.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

over priced yupie gun imho.

Just think you could purchase an auction tag at the expo with the money you would save getting a regular gun.

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

Archery is a year round commitment!!

I have a Christensen Arms barrel on my .300 and it is really nice. The weight difference between my gun and my buddies .300 with the iron barrel is huge.
I will say though, I paid $1100.00 for the gun at a banquet years ago, so I didn't pay that much for the custom barrel. I don't know what they run now. Definitely worth it for the right price I guess. Sure is a lightweight gun. Kicks hard though. It's supposed to be more accurate too, but that I don't know.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

LAST EDITED ON Feb-15-10 AT 07:44PM (MST)[p]Carbon arrows, risers, limbs, tripods, fly rods, fishin poles, and golf clubs suck too...

All a guy needs is wood, bamboo, and iron-everything else is too high tech.

I like the carbon barrel. And they say there are benifits over steel. I wont go into detail but you can read it up. I have had two Christensen arms rifles but the next one will be a Wasatch Precision Arms rifle.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-15-10 AT 10:25PM (MST)[p]What's the difference in Steel and CF Barrels as far as life of the barrel from shooting.
Where's RELH when you need him.
Brian

24bp2th.jpg

Kinda like a Rolex watch Vs a Timex...They both tell time just fine but some fool wasted the money on the Rolex..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Fondler said
"Sure is a lightweight gun. Kicks hard though. It's supposed to be more accurate too, but that I don't know."

Maybe you don't know because its so light that is kicks so hard so you can't shoot it?

>Founder, would you say that it
>kicks like a mule?
>
>-----------------------------------------------

lighter guns have less mass so they kick harder if they are loaded equally.

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

Archery is a year round commitment!!

LAST EDITED ON Feb-15-10 AT 11:54PM (MST)[p]my buddy has a christens and he loves it! they are indeed spendy but if your carrying a gun around the mtns all day in the mountains it sure is nice! the carbon fiber barrels are way lighter. i for one doubt i ever would buy one just becasue of the price but they are indeed very nice. and i dont think your gonna notice recoil when you have a monster bull in your sights

?It takes a genius to whine appealingly.?
Mr.Whiny

Why spend that much money on a rifle when you can get one at a very similar weight for much cheaper? On their site it said they weigh between 5.5-7 lbs depending on model. I hunt with a Browning A-Bolt Composite Stalker Chambered in 300 WSM that weighs 6.5 lbs without the scope and it shoots great! I agree with whoever it was that said it is just an over priced yupie gun.

Sgt. Petersen
USMC OIF OEF Vet.

>>Founder, would you say that it
>>kicks like a mule?
>>
>>-----------------------------------------------
>
>
>lighter guns have less mass so
>they kick harder if they
>are loaded equally.
>
>
>
4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

>Archery is a year round commitment!!
>

SW, thanks for the refresher in remedial physics, but I was making a refrence to Brian getting kicked in the head by a mule....or maybe it was a horse. Either way, I must not be as funny as I think I am.

I shoot a .54 cal knight wolverine for the weight reason also, the .54 barrel is bored out more than the smaller caliber ones and is lighter, but the rifle kicks harder than a .50 or .45. Like was stated above, you never feel a thing when shooting at an animal anyway.

-----------------------------------------------
http://andymansavage.blogspot.com/

I have a safe full of guns. Some wrapped in carbon and some not.

There are a lot of good lightweigt rifles out there-from factory to fully custom. The problem with most lightweight guns is shot after shot placement. Lightweight barrels tend to warp after just a few shots and point of impact is greatly affected. All of us want to anchor an animal with just one shot, but in the real world it doesn't always happen.

A barrel doesn't have to be wrapped in carbon to shoot accurately, and it doesn't have to be a heavy bull barrel, but the stiffer the barrel (be it by carbon or metal) generally the better it will shoot. Especially over extended shooting.

Stiffer is always better.

I know it happens but how often do yopu get more than 3 shots at an animal in a short period of time? Without taking running shots?

I have 1 gun with a bull barrel and its only cause I got a great deal on it. I don't see the point in spending the extra money for them for the small chance I might get or need more than 1 shot.

NO GUTS, NO STORY!!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I purchased a Christensen Arms 300RUM with a muzzlebrake several years ago and since then all the other guns in my safe sit and collect dust. I think it is 100% worth it from a weight perspective. Different strokes for different folks but I would never give mine up. By far my gun and caliber of choice.

I don't know much about the carbon barrels but a guy can put together a blueprinted custom rifle that'll drive tacks for $2600.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom