Car Tires Cost!!!

sageadvice

Long Time Member
My neighbor, the shootist, just told me what he paid for tires on the wife's car. It's a pretty nice car, one of them BMW sport utility things not quite like a Van or Blazer but not a sports car either. Pretty sharp looking rig if you ask me.

I feel like i fell asleep one day and woke up 10-15 years later...he paid $1900. for the set!

I'm running 6 plies on my 1/2 ton camper rig...$500. set
I'm running 10 plies on my work truck...$700. set

How in the heck did car tires ever get to $1900. a set??

Joey

Easy, just tell the sucker, customer, that they are high preformance tires rated for 200 mph and they will buy them for a BMW and should be putting them on a Lotus instead.

RELH

Longshooter, It's about time we agree on something!! :)

RELH, yeah, i kinda figure that salesman had some kinda good story to tell...

My bud's no wealthy person, they are my neighbors after all :), kinda hated to see him get took. I think these new tires with only 2-3 inches of rubber, rim to road, can't be all that great. 20" rims and 3" of rubber...who'd a thunk! But, they do have peace of mind, that's worth something right there.

Joey

what size tire? Alot of the price depends on the size wheel, brand, and how many miles their rated for.

shedfinder, i don't know & they are gone until Wends.

I do know from looking at them that they are on big rims and have a very wide tire surface, not much tread, and sure don't look like $1900. :)

Joey

When you drive a Beamer,they see you coming!
That ain't nothing.
We have a local(spoiled) kid that has tires on his pick-up that are 600.00 each.
Alot of guys getting suckered in to them loud,ugly,no wearing TOYO's for about 300.00+ each around here,WAJ!
Just one question?
Who's the Jerk that decided 20" & 22" tires & wheels look good on a pickup?
I nearly puke every time I see some!

I knew someone who had a beamer. When he purchased it they told it a nice feature was that it had "run flat" tires, meaning that if he had a flat he could drive something like 50+ miles with a flat without any damage. After 15k miles his "service representative" told him he needed to replace his tires. He was then then told that 15k was about as far as you got with the run flat tires. Even better, when he said he did not want to have these run flat tires put back on his car, he was told he would have to purchase new different rims.

think these new tires with only 2-3 inches of rubber, rim to road, can't be all that great. 20" rims and 3" of rubber...who'd a thunk! But, they do have peace of

Joey,
That is what these "lowriders" around here put on their "high dollar" useless SUV's......it is for show and that is all.

2000-2500 dollars for tires and wheels at Big O

Brian

And one more thing.
I'll bet kilowatt doesn't even pay that much for his 97,000 mile tires?

LOL,

He told me that he got 30K on the set that came with the car and the dealer told him that, that was about all he could have expected to get from them.

My camper rig has the same set, going on 5 yrs now and 30+K on them and they still look good for another 10K, at least!

Those guys can keep their thin tread low profile stuff. Seems like a great way to get stuck or dent a rim!

Joey

$1900 a set, Kilo would rotate them suckers every 20 miles!:)

Eel

Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

Tire prices have gone through the roof. I just paid $1000 for a set of BFG all-terrains at Discount tire. I even shopped around.

I'm sure glad my wife does'nt drive a beamer. I just bought her a set for $400 and they are all season radial 50,000 mile. I agree with you Ramone those 20" low rider tires on a 4x4 are a joke.

I agree,tire prices have nearly doubled!
But who would wanna pay twice as much for half the rubber for something that BUTT ugly?

Hell mine are 1600 a set but they're toyo at's. Had plenty of bfgs's over the years and toyo smoke them in mileage, traction and noise.

$1900! That's pretty pricey. I just got another set of 20" 38x15.5 tires. They look like monster truck tires and have about a 100lbs of tread on each. Their the chip resistant type and have an 80k mile waranty on them. My last set got about 50k when I replaced them but still passed the quarter depth test easily. My set only runs me about $1800. So why he paid $1900 for a set is beyond me. Heck, last year I bought a corvette z06 and replaced the tires that got nails in them. I replaced both back tires, you know those wide mo flickers with the "z" rating? Well, I only paid $340 a tire and those were serious high performance tires that I had doing well over 210mph several times. So yeah, I'd say your friend got taken.

Dog...this will help you understand.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Dec-07-09 AT 09:16PM (MST)[p]I hope he gets good mileage out of them. My wife bought me a 2010 camaro ss,rs for my birthday. Awesome car but I've read some reviews on the tires that came on it,(20" performance) and most people said they were only getting 7,000 to 9,000 miles out of them, "taking it easy". What in the world is that all about!

NECALI,
You ever heard of "keeping your foot out of it"?
I just seen a 1,000.00 set of TOYO'S on a duramax that only made it 12,000 miles,no spinning,supposed to be excellent tires,kilowatt wouldn't be to impressed with these,I think we are getting shafted by Tire manufactuers with p poor quality?
I see 50,000 mile guaranteed tires that don't have very much tread on them,I think somebody is cheating?

I just got a flat that is non-repairable because of the lack of tread on the tire. I'm having a hard time forking out $160.00 for a pair of new ones! For the guy that drives the beamer, I could never spend that much for rubber no matter what kind of car it was!!! If tires get to that price no matter what you are driving, I'll just spend the money on a burial plot and fill it with my dead body!!

BLooDTRaCKeR, be careful what you say. In remember saying "If gasoline ever hit $1.00 a gallon I'll park my car and walk!":)

Eel

Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

I run 6.50X16" re-treads on the '09 Escalade. As long as I stay ahead of that crazy bit#h with the 9 iron I'm doing good.

Slick

>BLooDTRaCKeR, be careful what you say.
>In remember saying "If gasoline
>ever hit $1.00 a gallon
>I'll park my car and
>walk!":)
>
>Eel
>
>Know guns, know peace, know safety.
>No guns, no peace, no
>safety.

Eel, I'm pretty sure before that you said something about the price of hay to that effect...you know, before this whole horseless carriage thing went mainstream. :)

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

I've just never been a big fan of top of the line tires. Going back to '76 when i bought my first 4X4, i headed to Western Auto and such to find the best prices on decent tires and by and large, they have served me well. Lately, i been shopping at Les Swab.

The best set i've ever ran was Kelly Springfield Safari RVR"s. I got 60K on those tires and alot of the time, i never unlocked my hubs cause i so often needed 4WD. They weren't cheap, $600. a set at the time, but i thought they were just a great tire. Several runners of mine including a 71 SS Camaro, i ran BF Goodrich TA's on. 60's in the back and 70's up front with Crager rims. Looked great, not too bad far as price went, yet talk about a kitty magnet that rig was!!

I understand that tires are going up! I guess my cheaper brand tires will go up as well. I hunt and fish, travel some outrageous rocky, volcanic bad country at times and have yet to have a blowout or tire fail. I'll admit, some out there, have even worse country that way, even harder on tires. I seen some bad stuff, maybe i just ain't seen the kinda country that you gotta pay $300. a tire to get around and good mileage. I just ainta gonna do it!!

Joey

Tires are like clothes. The lesser the amount of material/rubber...it takes to make them the higher the cost!!!

My god SAGE, Western auto used to sell wheels to the guys that were on the Oregon trail in covered wagons! :^)

CAelknuts hit it on the head RUN FLAT tires! In some cases they do need a new rim but in many they can put a regular old radial tire on them but they'll have to probably buy a spare donut tire for them because their vehicle doesn't have a spare. It's one of the tire businesses dirty little secrets to make a few more $$$$.

NVBIGHORN.... well you're just being you ... THANKS!!! :^) Priceless

Heck, last year I
>bought a corvette z06 and
>replaced the tires that got
>nails in them. I replaced
>both back tires, you
>know those wide mo flickers
>with the "z" rating? Well,
>I only paid $340 a
>tire and those were serious
>high performance tires that I
>had doing well over 210mph
>several times. So yeah, I'd
>say your friend got taken.
>

Same here, I paid a little over $300.00 for my run flats for my vette. Cannot imagine $1800.00...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom