car mechanic??

swbuckmaster

Long Time Member
I have a 2008 Nissan Altima. The temp gauge says its fine. I confirm this by opening up the hood and I can take the radiator cap off and it doesn't blow up in my face.

All the fluids are normal.

I have a service engine light that wont go away.

When I drive the car for more then 20 minutes if I turn it off it wont start until I let it sit for about 20 minutes.

It acts as if it has some sort of high temp switch that is failing. The car is not hot.

Any ideas whats wrong with this car? Can I fix it myself?

Hmmm have you hooked up an OBD II tester, you can go to Schuck's, Auto Zone, etc and use the ones they have there. It could be a sensor, ignition module getting too hot, one of a dozen things could be wrong. Hopefully it is something simple that won't cost too much or be too difficult.
WVBOWAK

You need to have someone hook a scanner up to it to see what fault code has been set. That might give you a starting point. Could be a sensor problem, fuel pump problem, etc...

See that Emblem on the Grille?:D

Just because there is a "Service Engine" light on doesn't mean there's an over heating problem!

What color is the light?

Alot of these "Check Engine" lights are Obama/Emissions related!

Some Brands of Vehicles have the lights programmed to come on at a certain mileage!

Some of them have them programmed to scare people in to taking it in to the Dealer,The Dealer spends less than 5 minutes,shuts the light off,everything's just fine,till next time,a nominal Fee for shutting a light off & You're good to go!

For GAWDS Sakes Guys,We Got Kids on this Site,Some of them are 65 years Old!:D

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

Something else totally unrelated, if you don't screw your gas cap on tight or the seal goes goes bad will also cause a check engine soon light to come on.
WVBOWAK

So do I have to take it to a dealer to run it on a machine to see what the check light is for or can they check it at auto zone.

I miss the easy old trucks I had when I was a kid. I could fix anything on them.

sw!

Alot of the parts stores are not wanting to scan vehicles anymore,maybe Auto-Zone will?

If it's a common/simple part their scanner will pick it up!

But keep one thing in mind,they ain't like the Diagnostic Equipment the Dealers use!

If you can find a parts store that is willing to scan it they usually don't charge anything but kinda like you to buy the bad part from them!

That's one thing I liked about my CUMMINS,no BULLSSSHIT lights ever lit up in a quarter of a million miles,unlike the newer Bastards!

Shucks, O'Rileys, or any of that same chain stores will let you checkout an OBD II tester to use in the parking lot. They have the books to read the fault codes and can give you some pointers as to what maybe wrong. Keep in mind, general codes will get general answers. For example, we had a cylinder misfire on my wife's car. Changed plugs, wires and a coil; found out it was leaky exhaust manifold gasket. Hopefully it is something simple and "relatively easy" to fix; problem with small cars is there isn't much room to work with.
WVBOWAK

took it to the shop this morning to see what the test would come up with.

camshaft sensor.

They told me 137.00 bucks to fix. To me this sounds like it might not be to hard to fix because of the labor cost. So anyone know if its easy to fix so I can save a few more bucks. normally im not so cheep but this year my wage has been cut almost %40 because of Obama's economy.

Go to the local library and see if they have the Chilton or Haynes teardown manuals for your car and see if you might be able to do the work, that is the cheapest solution, unless you have a mechanic buddy who owes you $137 buck favor then it will just cost you parts. Hope it works out for ya.
WVBOWAK

Cam Sensor ain't nothin to change!(If you know what you're doing?)

Tell you Brother You wanna borrow the CUMMINS again,that'd be a temporary Fix!:D

Thank slick for the Obama Economy!

If you are near the Hooper area, let me know. I could change it out for you. I can hook my OBD II reader on and make sure they weren't feeding you some bull.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom