Capped Elk Tags to Non Residents?

in2elk

LAST EDITED ON Jul-11-16 AT 03:37PM (MST)[p]Help me understand....So the latest IDFG news release shows for the Sawtooth Zone a lot of unhappy residents unable to get tags. According to their numbers they sold out of tags in less than an hour. Tags sold were 496 of 566 (70 Non Resident A tags)? and 1290 of 1526 (236 Non Resident B Tags)? . This is well over a 10%. Residents had the opportunity to try and get a tag at 10 am on July 10th and non residents could buy anytime after 12/1/2015. If I remember correctly only 10% of any controlled Hunt is to be set aside for non residents. With these numbers not only did F&G sell more to non residents but exceeded the 10 percent rule if it applies to capped general season tags. Anyone that can explain that to me? Non residents not only are guaranteed tags but can buy them at any time for over 7 months? Meanwhile residents are first come first serve in one hour all are sold? Am I missing something? These numbers were on the IDFG press releases on their website.

How do you figure that non residents are guaranteed tags. If they have 236 tags for non residents and 450 non residents apply for those tags, some non residents are also upset.
As for the 10% rule, that I do not know anything about it, but you should know that they make more money on selling non resident tags and that could be a motivation factor for selling over 10%

RELH

Not sure how it works in Idaho, but in Colorado an OTC hunt with caps is not considered a "limited draw" area and therefore not subject to nonresident limits.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

>How do you figure that non
>residents are guaranteed tags. If
>they have 236 tags for
>non residents and 450 non
>residents apply for those tags,
>some non residents are also
>upset.
> As for
>the 10% rule, that I
>do not know anything about
>it, but you should know
>that they make more money
>on selling non resident tags
>and that could be a
>motivation factor for selling over
>10%
RELH

I think when he mentioned guaranteed tags for NRs to buy for 7 months he was talking about tags that are first come first serve in several units, but they are capped at a set number and sell out pretty quick for the areas they are good for.

what about outfitter allocated tags and landowner tags? Do they apply with capped Elk tag numbers. Maybe we are not seeing the number of outfitter and landowner tags in the zone so that throws the percentage off?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom