Caping heads

B

Bazy

I've never taken the time to learn how to cape out a head(always let the taxi do it). I've frozen my deer and antelope heads this year to practice on. I hear the term "turning the ears inside out". What does this mean and how do you do it?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Bazy

LAST EDITED ON Nov-02-09 AT 11:08AM (MST)[p]You don't need to worry about turning the ears to cape a head. Just cut the ears off at their bases when you get to that point. Be sure to take your time, have a very sharp knife, and touch it up regularly. You'll find the skin around the horns difficult to work off, and might have an easier time with a screwdriver to assist. Take your time, and cut right up against the antler, not leaving any skin intact.

Be sure to take extra care around the eyes and pre-orbital gland. You want to push your finger through when cutting around the eyes, and be sure to not cut the eyelid. You'll have to 'dig in' a bit to get the pre-orbital gland out intact but it is important that you do so. As you work down toward the nose, be sure to get all of the lips and nose intact, don't leave any of it on the skull.

#1 rule in caping...take your time. If unsure of a cut, don't make it but look at where you'll be working on from both sides before slicing anything away. Be sure to have a very sharp knife, as it is tough to do a good job with a dull blade.

Once you're done, either liberally salt the cape (use NON Iodized salt) or freeze it. Your taxidermist will turn the ears for you, and if you want to learn how to do it, be sure to stay and watch him do it. It isn't that tough, but takes time and you'll need to whittle an 'ear stick.'

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom