Caping a Desert Bighorn

bowhunt

Long Time Member
I am hopeful that I will be skinning a Desert Sheep in a month or so...with that said. I have caped several other animals but never a sheep and never in the heat I am expecting.

Give me some pointers on:

-The cuts to make

-Taking care of the cape after skinning. I will most likely be 3 miles from the truck, and could be 8 miles away.

Thanks in advance.

I have done the same capein' on every animal I have ever harvested for mounting.

Sheep the same as an antelope buck......so the 'heat of the day' factor would be no different to me on the capein'.

I am sure you are aware that ya gotta bring the hooves out with ya if you are doing a 3/4 or full body mount ect....

Really excited for ya bh!!

Hope your health is full speed ahead!

Robb

I would recommend stopping by the taxidermist you plan on using and ask him. We can all give you answers, but you would be way ahead of the game by having your taxidermist show you. Sounds like a great hunt-- Best of Luck.

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com
-------------------------

The recommendation to see a taxidermist is the perfect advice.
Ask them how they want it skinned and ask yourself what kind of mount you want. Shoulder vs half life vs full.

It's child's play to cape for a shoulder mount (just watch out around the eyes, ducts, ears, nose, lips, horns! LOL)!It's a little harder to cape for a lifesize but mount it this way for sure.

If you can get the hide out pretty fast you shouldn't feel a need to split the lips or turn the ears and nose or remove the bones from the hooves. But you still need to get the hide off and DON'T drag the aminal around. If you're repositioning it for photos CARRY the whole thing!

I could eplain it with great detail in person or on the phone but it's too complicated (and my typing sucks) to do it here.

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR GREAT HUNT!

Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom