Canada, go see it.

2lumpy

Long Time Member
http://www.openmyeyeslord.net/godblesscanadabyleegreenwood.htm

Folks I'm a naturalized American and proud of it. My loyalty is and always with be to the United States of America, lock, stock and the gun barrel. However, having said that let me share tidbit with you.

Canada is an absolutely beautiful place. It's so close and so accessible that every American should make at least one trip across the border and see it. The people, their look and behave nearly identical to Americans. The language, the customs and values are not much different than comparing California to Louisanna or Iowa. We're the same. You will not feel uncomfortable there.

If you love the mountains and the prairies drive a car from Medicine Hat to Calgary, then on to Baniff and on up to Jasper. It's breath taking and everyone should do it at least once in their life. Calgary is a short 12 hour drive from Salt Lake City. Leave at 7:00 a.m. and have dinner in Medicane Hat at 7:00 p.m. that evening.

Enjoy the pictures and forgive Lee for messing with that great American song.

DC

My wife and I actually honeymooned in Canada in 2001. We drove from Oregon through Idaho and Montana before crossing into Canada. We drove up to Calgary, and then into Banff where we stayed for 4 days. Absolutely beautiful park. We then drove across to B.C. and took the ferry over to Victoria and stayed a couple of days. I pretty much fell in love with Canada on that trip, and look forward to going back. Actually have thought about doing the trip over for our 10th anniversary this summer, but don't think it will happen. Will be going back at some point though.

"success Is Reason Enough!"

The Canadian prairies and Rockies around Calgary and Banff
are indeed impressive and should be seen if possible. I was
fortunate as a young man to have taken in these magnificent
sights with my father and brother and I highly recommend an
early summer trip there.

ELDORADO

when i moved to alaska back in 2000, ( i moved back in 2005 ). i know i am stupid. i drove through these areas and through northern b.c. now that area has a sheet load of mulies ! never thought they would be that high. but they were all over the fields. saw tons of four points in the feilds in the middle of the day. never see that in idapoe. yukon territory is cool for the first few hundered miles then the tundra gets boring. then you go into tok,ak. it gets way cool again. but yes b.c. is the most gorgeous place i have ever seen. beutiful rivers, lakes. my dream is to spend a whole summer up there fishing. but i got a long way to go until retirement !

LAST EDITED ON Feb-18-11 AT 08:09AM (MST)[p]I have to agree that Canada is a spectacular place. From the BC coast clear into Alberta is some of the most gorgeous scenery a guy will ever see in his life. Banff and Jasper are spectacular, each in a bit different way. While I've never done it, I've always wanted to stay at the Banff Springs Hotel, and then at Chateu Lake Louise. Those are two of the most spectacular places a person could stay, anywhere.

Rode in a rodeo in Moosejaw once and the people was outstanding, The only bad thing is we drove in the dark coming and going to the place. I'm sure it has changed a great deal since the early 70's.
Was offered a job on a huge horse ranch up there then and turned it down, I thought the winters would be to long they claimed you got snowed in for months at a time on the ranch, sometime I wonder how my life would changed if I would took that job and moved up north.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

We love Canada and have spent many weeks up there in the summer discovering what it has to offer and there is quite a bit. We've been fishing all over in Ontario and Manitoba and have not even begun to get our fill. Coolest was a fly out to a remote lake 45 minutes by airplane off the arctic tundra that hadn't been fished in over 2 years. Lets just say our hands had bruises on them where we held the fishing poles and I can honestly say I was fished out after 7 day of this type of walleye and northern action. Between 4 of us we boated over 3500 walleyes between 4-6# that week with many over 6#. Unbelievable!! Our plans are to head back up for a couple of weeks next summer and fish our hearts out again. The mrs and I have talked about when we retire Canada will be our Summer destination with a pickup camper and boat in tow touring the Canadian Shield lakes. Fond memories spent up there with my wife and boys. Everyone always has a big smile when we talk about our trips to Canada...

LAST EDITED ON Feb-18-11 AT 10:25AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Feb-18-11 AT 09:56?AM (MST)

Every place In Canada I have ever been is awe-inspiring. Driving along the Fraiser river canyon,driving the Cassiar highway, Praying to stay alive during an August lightening storm at the base of Mt Sir Sanford in the Sielkirks, Backpacking to lake of the hanging glacier in the Purcell mnts, seeing the sun shine on Mt. Robson after a sept. snow storm, canoeing alone on Babine lake, fishing for lake trout on Kluane lake, fighting king salmon on the Cranberry river, getting lost while hunting caribou in the arctic tundra of northern Quebec, Thats just some of the Canadian memories I have made.

It is a wonderful place to visit.

I've had the luck to hunt sheep 3 times over the last 3 decades. Moose and caribou too. If I had more money I'd hunt it every year.

Our family has vacationed in Waterton Peace park on several occasions as well. We've been to NWT, BC, Alberta and had a great experience every time.

I've developed some lasting friendships with our Canadian neighbors.

Zeke

I have always been in awe of the Wildlife and Mountains in Canada.

The people have always been nice to me as well.

I too went to Banff, Jasper etc.. for my honeymoon.

The only real issue I have with Canada is that it is not an easy place to hunt DIY. You pretty much have to shell out some big big money to hunt there.

springbear, your right it is pricey to hunt Canadian big game (but not water fowl nor upland game) but I think it's still the cheapest country you can hunt, outside of the USA, depending of course on the species your wanting to hunt. I've never checked many foreign countries but when you consider the cost to hunt mule deer in Mexico, or go to Africa, New Zealand, etc. Canadian prices don't seem quite so bad. Here again, you can run the price of a sheep hunt in northern British Columbia right through the roof but for a deer, elk or moose hunt, you can do it for about the same as it cost's to do an out of State guided hunt in the US. Recognizing of course prices range all over the map in both countries.

Someone mentioned spending summers in Canada when they retire. Me too, I just purchased a 5th wheel for that very purpose. There's a bunch of lakes and rivers I've yet to explore up there. Maybe we can partner up and catch a few of those walleye/northerns. I'd settle for 1000 a trip, wouldn't take 3500 to get my attention.

DC

Did the drive on the ALCAN twice (once in 2006 and the last time in 2010) when we PCS'd for Dyess AFB in Abilene, Tx to Elmendorf AFB in Anchorage, Alaska. Finished my enlistment and got out and the wife, kiddo, and I moved back to her home state of New Mexico. We had a better trip back than we did the last time due to the fact that kiddo was 6 on the trip back rather than 2 on the trip up. However the trip down this year, the YT seemed like most of the roadside businesses this year were closed down, don't know if we were early in the tourist season or the economy shut them down. A really nice place to stay in Watson Lake is the Air Force Lodge. It is a old WWII Army Air Corp (before the Air Force was it's own branch) barracks that this very nice German couple bought and renovated. This place is immaculate on the inside, however the downside is that the place has Army style shower rooms, but they have enclosed them like a toilet is in a public bathroom with stalls and curtains and a door on the shower. Seems a little odd, but if you can get past that then it is an awesome place to stay. Super clean, in fact I have stayed in some nice hotels in my time, but for this being a little roadside lodge on the ALCAN, it was spotless. Like Beavis said Tok is the only dot of civilization in the middle of the tundra sea, next after that is Glenallen, then Palmer and Wasilla, then after that is Anchorage. Yeah we had some long days driving this time (12+ hrs on a couple of days), but we made up for it when we got to Edmonton. We spent 2 days there for down time and went to the West Edmonton mall. I have heard that Mall of America is awesome, but I don't think it has a 4.9 acre waterpark inside it. It was a fantastic day, we definitely enjoyed the treat. The tide pool (which is the largest indoor wave pool in the world) is heated and the wife and I got one of the tubes they rent at the park and put the kid on top of it and we waded out into the "surf", he had a blast and kept telling us to go closer to the deeper end. He was able to go on some of the water slides and I was able to wait at the end to catch him. You should have seen the Joker-like grin he had coming around the last turn when he saw me waiting there. Wished I had a water proof camera to have gotten some snap-shots of that. If you wanna do some reading up on it there here is a pretty good overall link for the mall:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Edmonton_Mall

The wife and I have said we would like to go back again one day, partly because she found some clothing stores there that she wants to try and buy out all the merchandise. LOL, maybe after I get done with nursing school (if I manage to get accepted), maybe do a motorcycle trip up there. Oh too dream of the day.
WVBOWAK

I have some property in B.C. on Stuart Lake out of Fort St James. My grandparents bought it in 1965 and after my grand dad died I bought it from my grandmother. Believe me they do not like americans that have property there. Awsome place and great fishing.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom