Can someone explain....

BLooDTRaCKeR

Very Active Member
Can someone please explain the CWMU management and the role the DNR has in this process?? I have had DNR officers harass me while on public land (not even close to a CWMU) about where the boundaries are for these private areas. They seemed to be overly concerned about making sure a public tag holder stays off those private areas. I have no intention on breaking the law on any of these properties. Should'nt the DNR be more concerned about what is going on with the public lands that that we donate money to every year to manage??? What kind of money is tied up in these private areas that would attract the DNR to babysit them during the hunts??? I also saw a DNR officer scoping out a CWMU area from a frontage road during the rifle elk hunt. He had a spotting scope out and binos while looking over the CWMU from across the road. For having a lack of man power to cover the state, enforcing the laws, they sure have no problem spending our dollar to protect what goes on over on private ground. What gives???

Maybe it is the felony arrest they get if they catch someone shooting an animal without the tag?

Maybe the CWMU has a big problem with tresspassers and asked for a little help to send a message?

Or maybe they just don't want to deal with the public land hunters.

At $4000 - $10000 for each landowner tag I can see why they may hang out in the area.

Funny, just driving home today I saw one investigating a doe kill. And two more on their way up a different canyon along with two deputy sherrifs.

Must just be where I hunt.

They can be very tricky to understand. It really depends if the private is one big body or spread out. Often times there are public lands that are inside private properties that are CWMU's. Some public land it landlocked by private. I believe and may be wrong that the state can include some public land inside CWMU's.

Most officers watch CWMU's very closely because that is where a large number of animals are poached from. Basically the state and the landowner enter into a contract to allow a certain number of tags go to the landowner which they can sell or use, and the state then gets to allow a few public hunters to hunt private property; which is a great opportunity usually for those lucky enough to draw a tag. The number of tags depends on the acreage of the CWMU and the number of deer that are there, and how much damage they do to forage and fields.

My uncle gets way more tags for bucks on his CWMU than there are mature bucks on his property. He does not sell all of them. He does however finally have the state willing to help him keep poachers off his property, which has been a major problem in the past. That is the main reason it was turning into a CWMU.

When the state is in a contract they will always put more energy into protecting the resource.

I hope this was somewhat useful.

there is a cwmu unit in utah that is patrolled by the dnr/dwr and that special dwr/dnr person gets a free landowner tag in return.. usually is a deer tag, and everything is suppose to be kept under the rug...this dwr/dnr personal spends his whole fall patrolling the cwmu unit to get his reward, while getting paid to patrol his area, and a tag for a bonus... what a life

Um Moose... I'm pretty sure that if this is true you need to get the DWR/DNR guy's truck license number and turn him in. If I'm not mistaken this type of "gift" is illegal... I can't imagine how it is legal to give peace officers gifts in exchange for preferential patroling...

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Moose,
That is highly illegal! You need to turn him in, if you don't you are just supporting this illegal act. Do the right thing and bust him! The last thing we need are COs that are wasting thier time watching a CWMU when there are tons of problems on our public lands.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom