camper rig

sageadvice

Long Time Member
Hi guys, I'm thinking of taking this truck out of service work and making it my full time camping / hunting rig. It's a '84 2500 4X4 with a 4 speed, 411 gears. This sweet truck just turned 84K original miles and is still tight! Gas mileage is not the best but man o man the storage factor alone seems to over ride any negatives.

Anybody else running utilities as camping rigs? Lets see yours!

49a453f03ee93474.jpg

Joey

Seems like a good idea...

BTW, thats a purdy damn clean work truck!

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Thanks guys! I bought this GMC about 4 years ago after getting my plumbers license and a few jobs under my belt. A Electrical Contractor friend offered to sell it as he had gone to a van. He used to literally detail the motor compartment with a tooth brush, took very good care of his stuff. It does impress customers and it is an attention getter, nice sounding rumble, for sure.

Since the day i bought it though, even before that, i was thinking of the advantages this kind of rig would have in camping situations.

Joey

I've never thought of how well they would work for a camping rig. I bought a little beater a couple years ago for my farm service truck and it is unbelievably handy. I have almost everything I need on it. So I can just imagine the possibilities of using one for camping. Great idea and good looking truck. I'm afraid mine isn't quite that cherry although it is similar in age and bodystyle.

Bighorn, I don't think the looks are all that important in a camping rig. Actually if anything, mine is too pretty, IMO, to go thru sagebrush or scrape through tight places to get where i sometime think i might want to be.

If i had the coin, i'd just buy something like you have. That way it might save on emotions if it got dented or deep scratched like they are bound to get.

Joey

LAST EDITED ON Feb-24-09 AT 05:36PM (MST)[p]Sageadvice,
Damn, that is almost the same pickup I bought new in 1984 same color. '84 2500 4X4 but mine was a Auto and had a dark blue color on the bottom panels and a DIESEL too. Drove it to Alaska about 3 months after I got it.
Drove it for 9 years and 288,000 miles before I cracked the head on the left bank.

I have pictures somewhere need to see if I can find it and post for you. Seen a few NR back in Colorado years ago using the Utility beds and one even had a cabover on it, great for hunting I would think.
49a4915d54f2078f.jpg

49a4919c564a2259.jpg

49a4922c595b1c92.jpg

Brian

Joey, thats a damn purdy truck! I'm sure your camper does'nt fit on that rig. You should find some kind of camper shell for it. Just think of the possibility, built in 5gal propane tanks with hardlines to a built in gas stove. Built in heater in the rear/sleeping area out of an rv with controlls on the inside for those chilly mornings......you could even set it up with doors on the inside so you could cook or make your coffe in the morning without getting out. Could probably find a poly tank or build a bumper for water storage and hard line a propane water heater with a outside faucets and shower attachment. You could even mount a little generator and a little tv in the back so you could watch a hunting video before bed :)

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

HEY kilo!!!

ONLY TOOK 3 SETS OF TIRES TO GET THERE RIGHT???

"I'M NOT COMPLAINING,I'M TELLING IT THE WAY IT IS,SOME OF YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,THATS O.K.,SOMETIMES THE TRUTH HURTS & YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT IT,OR YOU FIND OUT WHAT THE FACTS ARE,STAND UP & VOICE YOUR OWN OPINION,THIS IS STILL AMERICA THE LAST TIME I CHECKED"!!!

493c3bb236d04499.jpg

REMEMBER!!!

THERE'S ONLY ONE bobcat!!!

HEY sage!!!

LOOKS LIKE A CLEAN RIG!!!

DON'T KNOW WHAT I'D DO WITHOUT MY SERVICE BED!!!

HOW'D YOU ONLY DRIVE IT 84K???

MINE AVERAGES 12,000 POUNDS!!!

HAD TO INSTALL AIR BOOTS,I WAS BREAKING THE REAR SPRINGS RIGHT OFF!!!

GETS HEAVIER BY THE DAY!!!

YOU EVER GET 17-18 MPG ON YOURS???

WHAT'YA REPLACING IT WITH???

"I'M NOT COMPLAINING,I'M TELLING IT THE WAY IT IS,SOME OF YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,THATS O.K.,SOMETIMES THE TRUTH HURTS & YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT IT,OR YOU FIND OUT WHAT THE FACTS ARE,STAND UP & VOICE YOUR OWN OPINION,THIS IS STILL AMERICA THE LAST TIME I CHECKED"!!!

493c3bb236d04499.jpg

REMEMBER!!!

THERE'S ONLY ONE bobcat!!!

Overton, LOL, Nice er, looking rig! All she needs is a coat of paint, right?

Kilo, Best part of rigs like ours is they are usually paid for. I have a similar custom front grill but your lic plate kicks butt! :)

Hardway, I have a clean older pop-up cab-over that will fit right on perfect. I did always kinda want to build one of my own though. You got some good ideas there. I sometimes get in too much of a hurry though, might turn out like Overton's ;-)

Grizzly Plumber, Thanks for the info. She's stout!

Well all, with a few exceptions, i hope my next 2000 posts are anywhere near as much fun as this past bunch has been. Some of you folks are starting to feel like family! Thanks for taking me in and Bless You!

Joey

Bobcat, The guy who built it used it to run erands for his motel. He had a lot of time and plenty of money so he put the moter in, the bed on, the pro suspension lift(2"), and the custom paint. She never left town except maybe a trip to the dumps, kept her covered most of the time.

I don't know what mine weighs loaded. When i put my Pipe threading machine(big one) in the back for the summer, i know she ain't light. I got a neat organization system for the other side. There's about all the service-finish stuff i need on any service call in there so i hardly ever have to run to the store.

I'd like to get my hind end up a bit too...both of them :) And yes, there's always something i feel the need to have in there, just in case.

Heck No!! 12MPG is about as good as she gets. Them 411 gears! I don't know how fast she'll go, never tried it, but i feel like i'm pushing it anything past 70. She rolls along real sweet at 60 MPH. Again though, most of my work is very local, within 5, 10 miles tops.

Replacing? Things might work out to where i can get another newer service rig this year. I'll stay GM, nothing but great luck, but be interested in a Vortec motor, auto, much better MPG.

Joey

Bessy,
Thw Wife and I went on a month trip to Alaska back then, round trip total mileage was 8,449 miles and only ONE FLAT TIRE. And that happened on the way up when I came over a raised part of the road with a creek under it and by the time I spotted it it was too late, caught the metal forks off a bicycle laying in the road. It punctured the right front tire, so had to use the spare.
Finished the whole trip without a spare and had no trouble. Never try that again though, only took a $1,000 bucks with us then and we slept alot while traveling in the back of PU.

Crap, you can't go anywhere anymore with that much money...LOL

Brian

Ransom;

Now you done ticked me off. Selling off our hillbilly R.V. without consulting me first. WWHERE'S THE DAMN JUG OF KEROSENE, I NEED TO PAY RANSOM A VISIT!!!!!

RELH

RELH

I'm sorry cuz. I was blinded by stupidity after seeing Obama on TV. I'll bring the jug of shine over for a peace offering.

Ransom

Sage I think your popup will work just fine on it. I had a four wheel granby that was on an F250 with a service body and it worked great. If I remember I had to build a false floor in the pickup bed so the camper floor was supported right. In fact I increased the water capacity on mine to 25 gallons with an old shallow rv tank (in the floor) and it worked great. Those campers are sure nice and don't weigh a lot and you still have all the mobility you want! That will make a great hunting rig for sure! All you need is a tag!

Joey
My buddy does RV's repairs and such, last year I got a old water tank from him(owner was upgrading to a bigger one) a 42 gal I had him mount it in the tackroom of my horse trailer and with a pump works great to water my horses, in those out of the way places. I'm sure you can find something like that to add to your camper

I'm looking for a 8ft slide in camper for my truck so I can pull my Horsetrailer and have a place to spent the night at trailheads and such.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Thanks for all the comments and advice guys! I spent 6 long weekends during this past hunting season camping, hunting, and fishing, here, there, wherever, outa that pop-up on another rig.
It's nothing like the full sized Lance shown in the picture above but is plenty for most trips and very easy on the rig.

Boskee, My bins are not as high as some are. Look at the picture again and you'll see that they don't raise up higher than a typical pickup bed does. I put a tape to it, should slide in and rest on the bed floor. One good thing is my bins don't open from the top. Good idea about the extra water storage. I also been thinking of a way to install some type of light duty yet fairly secure "safe" big enough for a couple 3 guns and some valuable fishing gear while on road trips.

Gator, My old camper "shell" cap was very good for the years used and things i asked of it. It was about 8" higher than the cab so it did cut down gas mileage but it gave that much more headroom while sitting on the 6 1/2 X 30" bed i framed up and mounted longways on top of the off door side fender well. That thing, camper shell, earned it's keep many times over. It's fairly ready for the dump now but still has a couple/few more years in it i'm thinking, so i'm looking to give it to somebody if they want it. Thanks again guys,

Joey

Sage they used to make a behind the seat lockable bin that would hold 3 guns and ammo. I sold mine with the truck and it worked great. Another bud that had one made a false compartment over the seat (under bed bottom) going toward the P/U that had a lockable door that dropped down opening toward the truck. It worked great for him. Just a couple of thoughts for you to see if they may work in your application. regards, CA

Boskee, Yes those are good ideas, like them both! As it is now, there is a storage area under the upper bunk mattress platform. I can put any number of good sized but shallow items there as it's not easily found unless a guy knows where to look. Also, it is fairly secure when the pop-up is in the down position because the roof secures the mattress board from being lifted, i just have hide the removable crank. Still and all, if i'm to use this rig as much and go as many places as i figure to, i'm wanting something even more secure and your ideas are good food for thought! Thanks!!

Joey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom