Camp Food

C

CastEmBlastEm

I'm trying to put together a menu for some up coming hunts, about 5 days. We will have a base camp/trailer where will be sleeping, and then leaving early each morning to go hike into differnt spots to hunt for the day. What breakfasts do you like weather they are cooked/ate in the trailer before leaving, which would be as early as 4:30 or 5:00 am, or eaten on the trail. What lunches do you like that could be put in a back pack or carried on a wheeler, and then dinners that could also be carried or prepared once back at camp. We're starting to get tired of the Hostess breakfasts and looking for new ideas. Anything from simple and fast to nice bigger dinners. Thanks in advance for the ideas.

Dinner is the big meal in our camp. We usually BBQ steaks, chicken.....for the sides stove top stuffing, rice a roni, or garlic mashed potatos are east to make along with green beans or some other canned veggies.
Lunch is packed the night before in our packs. We pack things like raisens, apples, jerky, granola bars, nuts with some water and capri sun.
Breakfast is made up of a cup of coffee and maybe a sweet roll. We want to use that time to get out in the hunting area. Once in a while we may return about 11 in the morning and fix bacon and eggs.

Skip everything else and take your dutch oven. Make a campsite version of Mississippi Mud Pie. You'll need 1 box yellow cake mix and whatever ingredeients it calls for on the back, mix it up and pour into oiled dutch oven, then the mud, mix 1 cube melted butter, 2 cups brown sugar, one cup cocoa, one tablespoon each cinnamon, vanilla and water. Mix this well and pour into cake batter. Set oven on coals and put some on top. Cook for 50 minutes then dump one bag each pecans and chocolate chips on top. Cover again for 10 more minutes. Spoon out, pretty dog gone messy but very good.

Ransom

That mud pie is making my mouth water, we'll have to give that one a try. I agree, dinner is the big meal of the day, just looking for more ideas for breakfasts and lunches, and then what type of big dinners everyone likes. Thanks again.

Instant oatmeal, cereal, or a warmed up pre-made, frozen egg/bacon burrito for breakfast. Granola bar and apple or banana if in a hurry. Sandwich, crackers, trail mix, fruit, or whatever handy for lunch. Dinner is our big meal. Steaks, fried fish, country style ribs, spagetti, drunken chicken, fried turkey, venison, etc. You name it, we've cooked it.

Te trailer base camp makes it easy, you can keep stuff frozen.

We always pre-cook our suppers, too tired to cook at the end of the day. We usually have chili w/cornbread, stew, brisket/beans, fajitas, etc. We cook it at home and freeze, then heat and eat. Breakfast is either granola bars or pancakes cooked at home and frozen the heated on the wood stove. Lunch is whatever you want to pack-in. I usually do jerky and trail-mix/gorp. Good huntin'

Phantom Hunter

I bake about ten pounds of potatos, seal them, and bring along. Makes an early breakfast or late dinner for that matter a lot quicker.

The stand by dinners for us have always been chili and spaghetti. Pre-make the chili and the spaghetti sauce and freeze in 1 gallon zip lock bags. Then it's just a matter of warming up some bread or tortillas for the chili and boiling some noodles for the sauce. We usually get four nights dinners which are pretty hearty.

For breakfast/lunch every man for himself. For breakfast I like a cup of something hot like instant coffee or tea along with a bagle. For lunches I'm a big fan of PBJ plus assorted energy bars/mixed nuts. One of the guys brings literally ?pounds and pounds? of his home-made jerkey that we stock in our packs?great stuff.

I did carry MREs for several years but found I was spending more time ?squatting? than hunting. There?s a lot of energy in the MREs but it seems to go right through me.

I guess we approach it as ?what is convenient? vs having to spend time cooking and cleaning.

Oh yeah, I'm not sure how this started but we find the largest bottle of Cholula sauce and try to empty it before the hunt ends?it goes great with everything.

46f0160c45edd053.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Sep-18-07 AT 07:26PM (MST)[p]I used to always cook all my food but this yr I left for two weeks and knew there was no way I would be able to keep all the food fresh in an ice chest. So I bought Mountain House meals and I'll tell you what, I did not eat a bad one the entire time, their delicious. No camp stove, worrying about ice thawing out or worrying about spoilage. Just heat the water pour in the required amount and wait 5 to 10 minutes and eat right out of the bag so no damn dishes to wash either. I'd just throw one in my pack for breakfast and the Pocket rocket stove and eat on the hill when ever i felt like it. I probably will not buy any fresh food again at this point, this was just to easy. I do recommend the 2 pack meals though for one person, the 1 packs aren't quite enough..

Kipper Snacks
Milky Way
Corn flakes
Rum and coke
Beer
Peanut butter and jelly
Doughnuts
Hot dogs
Dintymoore
Snail tails
Goat's milk
Octopus tentacles