Camp fire question about mounting a scope.

2lumpy

Long Time Member
A few months back I purchased a nice Remington 512 .22 rifle. It had a period correct “sheet metal” scope rail on it, made to fit a small diameter 1940s type scope. however the holes drilled in the rifle barrel, to hold the rail in place, are misaligned with the barrel. When a scope is mounted on the rail, the front end of the scope is between a 16th and an 8th off center, to the right……….. if that makes sense.

The error is not misalign holes in the rail but definitely the holes drilled and tapped in the barrel.

Any recommendations on what to have a gun smith do to rectify the problem.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I'm not a gunsmith but I would take it to one and see if a picatinny rail (AKA Weaver rail) could be mounted on the action. This should allow for a new set of holes to be drilled and tapped, to match the rail.

Could you "expand" one of the holes in the "sheet metal" to the left or right to make it align with the barrel? The scope won't be on top dead center of the barrel, but I don't think it would be visible to the naked eye and would function fine. We're only talking about 1/16 of an inch or less. The cross hair adjustment on the scope should allow for the correction.

Could you "expand" one of the holes in the "sheet metal" to the left or right to make it align with the barrel? The scope won't be on top dead center of the barrel, but I don't think it would be visible to the naked eye and would function fine. We're only talking about 1/16 of an inch or less. The cross hair adjustment on the scope should allow for the correction.
WOW!
Thanks eel. That’s a great suggestion. I kept thinking the solution had to be on the barrel………never even considered widening the hole in the rail. I could do that with a small round file, and it would only have to be the diameter of the screw shaft. Thank you, that’s is exactly what I’ll do.

Last edited:
I thought you were tinkering with a 550?
Well, you’re right, I’m still messing with the 550, but it’s like digging a post hole full of rocks, it’s taking a while, I’m easily distracted. The last time I posted on the 550 I was fussing about getting old oil out of the stock…….I’m still messing with that. I have tried every method I can find and the only thing I’m making any progress with is heating it in the stove oven at 160 degrees….. for hours at a time, I’ve done that countless times and I’m actually making progress but it’s sloooooooow going. I almost gave up on it a while back but then I said, “what the he!!, I haven’t got a gun to my head”, so I’ve kept at it.

These damn deer hunting trips keep interrupting my good intentions.

The 512 is in much better condition, so I’m not going to mess with it, but…….. it needs to hit where it’s pointed so it’s become another half dug post hole. You and eel need to thank your luck stars you don’t live closer. lol

A shotgunner would stick it under the bumper and bend the barrel. Might take a couple of fat guys.

If we were around a campfire, I would show you. :)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom