camera recommendation

BIGJOHNT

Long Time Member
I am looking for a camera to carry in my pack. I would also like to use it to take photos threw my spotting scope. What has worked well for you guys ?
I have also been looking at a Vortex skyline w/ its camera adapter. Do these work well or am I better off getting a big camera with a big lense ?
The Vortex Razor hd has an adapter for a large digtal camera. Is this what I really want ?
I would like to know what you guys are using, dont want to buy a little camera and then go out and get the big one after the fact.

I can tell you that I have a small Sony Cybershot (10 MP) that I carry in my pack and have used it to take pics through my Nikon earth and sky spotting scope with the cabela's digi-scoping adapter.

This works surprisingly well! The issues you get are it is very hard to see through the scope and then attach the camera and mount before the game moves.

You can still see through the view finder of the camera, but just not as easy to use. Also doesn't take extremely clear pics, but mch better than trying to hold the camera manually and snap of shots.

I finally broke down and bought a Swarovski spotting scope and man what a difference! I don't have the digi-scope adapter yet, but I will soon. With this you have a couple of options. You can buy the Swaro Digi-scope adapter ($$) which is nice because you can set it up and then it swings out of the way when you want to look through the scope without loosing your settings. The other option is to buy a nicer camera (I bought the Nikon D5000) and you can actually connect the scope to that just like a lense. Doesn't take professional grade photos, but with the HD scope and a good camera you can get some pretty clear pics.

I also have some high zoom lenses for my Nikon that are nice. I ave a 70-300MM lense that is awesome for most animal and outdoor photos and gets you pretty close, but you still have to do some good ole fashioned hiking to get close enough and you need a tripod in most cases.

All of this being said, I am really just getting into this but I love it and these are the things I have foud out to this point.

I would love to hear other pointers and suggestions.

Hoe this helps!

I too have a swarovski hd but I have a homemade plastic adaptor with a point and shoot camera that doesn't work to well. The swarovski adaptors are exspensive. How are you attaching the nikon?

I was shown an actual screw on adapter down at Cameraland (Inkleys) that will supposedly work on the Swarovski.

It makes it like an actual lense.

I haven't tried it yet but I plan on taking the scope down and having them show me how it works.

If I remember correctly it isn't super cheap either, but I think it is still cheaper than the Swarovski version.

I keep hoping someone else on here will see this post and will respond with the facts about this set-up.

Would help me out as well.

Maybe I will put a post on the Photography forum and ask the same question.

I would HIGHLY recomend the point and shoot set up from Tines Up. I have been able to take some of the most incedible footage and pictures through my scope ever! I have the Swarovski STS 80HD. Here is the set up they offer.

ScopeCam2.jpg

ScopeCam1.jpg

I think for the camera, adapter, and I think a case and 4 gig card it's right around $350 bucks! A heck of a deal! The camera shoot in full 1080 HD, and it's incredible!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom