Camcorder ???

B

BoneJunkie

I was looking to buy a canon gl2 to video some hunts with but I have heard all the hunting movie makers have switched to sonys. Does anyone have any information on what sony is being used or what I should be looking for? Thanks!

HD is the only way to go these days. My new Panasonic HDC-TM700 will rival any cam on the market that you can pack into the woods.

Just a couple more years and SD cams will be a thing of the past. Once you see the image sharpness, color and motion of the TM700's 1080-60p, you will never be able to look at SD again.

Just my $0.02

Cheers,
Pete

I have a sony pd 170 and like it a lot. I have used canon xl 1 and prefer the sony for its smaller size. It isnt hd but still shoots good enough video to be on hunting videos. There is a post on the N Mexico forum below that has a pd170 for sale you might take a look at. nwhunter

I have a canon XH-A1 and love it, In my opinion they are all good, some just do certain things better than the other but I dont think you will be unhappy with any new HD semi profesional camcorder. Good luck it gets addicting I would almost rather pack my video camera now as apposed to my gun or bow.

I said almost.

+1 on the XH-A1. My canon does a great job. It has taken some nasty falls and keeps going. I don't think you can go wrong with any hd cam. good luck

Right now we are using the Canon Gl2 and the Canon Xl2 and have so for the last 5 years but now that they have had so much use on them we are looking to start fresh and get into the new HD cameras out there. Ive messed around with the new HD Panasonic (can't remember the name but it was the one that is comparable to the new canon HD like the Gl2) a few times and it shoots great video but really lacks on the zoom capabilities compared to my Gl2 which is a must for us filming hunts. So my question is how does the new HD Canon compare to the Gl2 as far as the zoom?

ARROWS FLY N BIG BUCKS DIE!!! >>>----->

Remember when you upgrade to the HD the doublers are double the price. That is one thing that we like about the GL2. The Canon 20X lens is awesome and with the longer shots for rifle hunts we really like the doubler on it to get the best video. The doubler for the HD lens is so expensive we haven't purchased it yet so that is why we use the GL2 for all the long range filming and the HD for the close filming like on an archery hunt. I would have to say though the GL2 takes some great video and is a great all around camera.

Rod

LAST EDITED ON May-19-10 AT 06:54PM (MST)[p]here is the HD camcorder c3 was talking about.

It is a tenth the size of a gL2 in weight and size.

I have used the gl2 and it is a great camera but I think this is the new trend.

check it out It might be possible to count tines at over 3 miles away.

http://vimeo.com/11787542

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

Nets are for fish!!

The gL2 was a great camera in its time but it has no comparison to the new hd cameras. If you watch footage from a new hd camera on a hd tv its like night and day. You can probably buy a gL2 for dirt cheap and get some great video but if you are buying new go with the hd.

Thanks everyone for your input. I am going to look into the panasonic 700 for sure. For close it looks great and I plan on hooking it up to my spotter for long shots. Im betting it will do the trick. Thanks again!

Keep this in mind . . . buying a camera is one thing but buying a program that will actually render the video in HD format is a whole expensive other thing. Most programs that are worth buying, that will render in HD format, cost a pretty penny. If you are going to produce a video then it MIGHT be worth it. But if you are just filming for your own personal enjoyment IMO it's not worth the expense. I have plenty of footage that looks great on TV and is a joy to watch and all have been filmed with either a GL2 or an XL1s. If you do go HD and want to get some great looking footage you might consider that little Canon camera that costs around $600. I've seen footage filmed with it and it's amazing. Good luck.

It's always an adventure!!!

Actually Jim, it's not the software anymore, but the computer required. PowerDirector, Sony Vegas Movie Studio or Edius Neo all do a great job with AVCHD 1080 video for less than $100.

The real issue now days is that it takes a quad core computer with tons of memory, a new 1080p HDTV, a BlueRay burner, a BlueRay player and ALL the spare time left in your life to get one 5 minute video out to friends and family :)

Cheers,
Pete

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom